Feb 25 2015 | 2:52 pm
- Doubt can be a painful emotion to deal with, whether dealing with personal issues or dealing with spiritual ones. Batavia author Ann C. Sullivan examines how doubt can affect our lives in her new book, “Permission to Doubt,” published by...
Feb 03 2015 | 4:22 pm
- Thornton Wilder's "Our Town" is a favorite of both schools and community theater groups because of its minimal set and simple costume requirements. Batavia High School stages the classic play this weekend in the Batavia Fine Arts Centre’s...
Dec 22 2014 | 3:06 pm
- Linda Schielke’s parents loved Christmas. It’s no surprise that she loves the holiday as well. Schielke, wife of Batavia mayor Jeff Schielke, expresses her love of the season through her extensive collection of Santas, which now...
Dec 22 2014 | 12:21 pm
- He does the carving, and she does the painting. That's how Swedish Dala horses are created by father-daughter team Jason and Julia Lekander of Batavia. The horses are popular in Scandinavian decor, particularly around the holidays.
Dec 03 2014 | 3:55 pm
- In an effort to help with Batavia's toy drive, Mike Hoag, an amateur photographer, has offered a Riverwalk photo that is creating quite a stir on social media. For a $20 donation to the toy drive, he will send the donor a JPEG file of the Riverwalk...
Oct 22 2014 | 5:36 pm
- If you venture into downtown Batavia this Saturday, beware of small projectiles. A pumpkin seed spitting contest and marshmallow shooting contest are among the newest offerings at BatFest, Batavia's celebration of the Halloween season.
Oct 01 2014 | 3:33 pm
- Joe and Betty Stephano of Batavia are marking 70 years as a couple this year.
Jul 10 2014 | 11:11 am
- In 2002, Denise Karabowicz was the only girl on the Rotolo Middle School’s Lego Building Club. Eleven years later, she’s running the show, along with her dad, Ron. “I know what the robotics program did for me when I was in middle...
Jun 18 2014 | 4:07 pm
- A Facebook page titled "If u grew up in Batavia" has done more than just help residents and former residents share memories. It was recently instrumental in helping a class ring that had been lost for more than 40 years find its way back to its...
Jun 09 2014 | 3:00 pm
- Flag Day celebrates its 65th anniversary on Saturday, June 14. Much of the credit for the celebration of our nation’s symbol falls to a former Batavian, Bernard J. Cigrand.