Oct 22 2014 | 3:36 pm
- If you venture into downtown Batavia this Saturday, beware of small projectiles. A pumpkin seed spitting contest and marshmallow shooting contest are among the newest offerings at BatFest, Batavia's celebration of the Halloween season.
Oct 01 2014 | 1:33 pm
- Joe and Betty Stephano of Batavia are marking 70 years as a couple this year.
Jul 10 2014 | 9:11 am
- In 2002, Denise Karabowicz was the only girl on the Rotolo Middle School’s Lego Building Club. Eleven years later, she’s running the show, along with her dad, Ron. “I know what the robotics program did for me when I was in middle...
Jun 18 2014 | 2:07 pm
- A Facebook page titled "If u grew up in Batavia" has done more than just help residents and former residents share memories. It was recently instrumental in helping a class ring that had been lost for more than 40 years find its way back to its...
Jun 09 2014 | 1:00 pm
- Flag Day celebrates its 65th anniversary on Saturday, June 14. Much of the credit for the celebration of our nation’s symbol falls to a former Batavian, Bernard J. Cigrand.
Apr 17 2014 | 10:59 am
- Most people in the Fox Valley know Mike Dixon for his commitment to historic preservation. The former St. Charles architect has been involved in several local historic restorations. So, it was a bit of a surprise when he decided to leave his firm at...
Mar 26 2014 | 12:44 pm
- Kodiak, Alaska, is a long way from Batavia, Illinois. But Pat Branson, who is in her second term as Kodiak's mayor, says growing up in Batavia gave her the foundation she needed to become a community leader.
Jan 29 2014 | 1:28 pm
- Not long ago, I spoke with Chris Burrichter, a 2004 graduate of Batavia High School. Burrichter had recently joined the prestigious law firm of Kirkland Ellis LLP in Chicago. “There were 50 new lawyers joining the firm in the Chicago...
Dec 20 2013 | 10:30 am
- By the time Christmas comes, Sammi King says she will have made dozens of Swedish cookies, nine loaves of Swedish rye bread, 2 cardamom coffee cakes, 144 Swedish pancakes and 15 pounds of korv, or Swedish potato sausage, all to keep her Swedish...
Nov 25 2013 | 6:56 pm
- This weekend, Batavia residents have two opportunities to show community support. On Saturday, Nov. 30, we can make the trip to DeKalb to support our football team. On Sunday, Dec. 1, we can head to the Celebration of Lights in downtown Batavia and...