Aug 27 2016 | 11:25 pm
- Last year, Fox Lake was preparing for the last hurrah of summer boating and fishing when a police officer shot dead put the Lake County town in the national spotlight. A hero’s funeral, a heartbreaking betrayal and a sickening scandal quickly...
Aug 25 2016 | 6:31 am
- This summer’s championship dreams for Chicago Cubs fans send Bruce Reinger of Mount Prospect to his attic stash of keepsakes from the last time the Cubs won the World Series. Reinger’s grandfather and his buddies drew intricate cartoons...
Aug 22 2016 | 11:38 pm
- In his post as a deacon with the Catholic Church, Don Grossnickle finds himself drawn into causes, starting with his work to get help for young football players paralyzed by injuries. Now, he’s taking on a more global cause: cows fighting...
Aug 18 2016 | 12:20 am
- The Chicago Cubs inspired longtime radio newsman Stew Cohen to write a new Cubs anthem. Local band Vertical Jam will perform it live for the first time Friday at the musical festival in Carpentersville.
Aug 14 2016 | 8:39 am
- A 72-year-old woman whose Antioch townhouse was raided by police responding to a barricade situation with a renter says broken windows and tear gas have left her homeless.
Aug 10 2016 | 11:22 pm
- The dog days of August used to feature meaningless Cubs games where the only drama was whether Jose Cardenal could end the season with a .300 batting average. This August features meaningless Cubs games as fans dream about October.
Aug 08 2016 | 4:31 pm
- The Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago figures it can sell biosolids — the byproducts of sewage treatment — to consumers. But first, it needs a contest winner to come up with a catchy name for the stuff.
Aug 06 2016 | 5:26 pm
- The competition wasn’t as fierce as the Rio Olympic Games, but the water of Diamond Lake was clean and inviting for those rowing makeshift boats Saturday in the Mundelein Park & Recreation District’s Cardboard Regatta.
Aug 03 2016 | 11:42 pm
- It’s a glorious season for Cubs fans. But for Cubs fans working to curb the mistreatment of women, that silver lining still comes with a cloud — Aroldis Chapman.
Aug 02 2016 | 5:41 am
- Between the humidity and the buttery fingers from snacking on sweet corn, the cards in our euchre game are becoming tough to shuffle. So my partner offers to grab fresh cards from his stash of more than 600 decks of playing cards. He’d fit in...