Oct 23 2016 | 7:39 am
- Cubs win the pennant! For the first time since 1945, the Chicago Cubs will be playing in the World Series.
Oct 18 2016 | 6:25 am
- The most rewarding sports event I’ve attended this month didn’t involve the Cubs. It was the traditional “Senior Night” that parents across the suburbs enjoy with their kids on the final night of high school competition or...
Oct 17 2016 | 7:57 am
- A smiling slugger who cracked 32 homers and drove in a team-leading 109 runs during the regular season, Anthony Rizzo might be the heart of the 2016 Cubs. But he’s batting .043 in the postseason, and his legions of fans are confident...
Oct 16 2016 | 12:37 am
- For most of the past century, the Chicago Cubs have been lovable losers. And sometimes not all that lovable. Now, the Cubs are in the National League Championship Series for the second year in a row, and fans have a tough time choosing their...
Oct 11 2016 | 7:36 am
- With all the nastiness of the presidential election, and disturbing news stories about scary clowns, Americans need an escape from reality. But this Halloween offers scary clowns, political clowns and scary, political clowns.
Oct 09 2016 | 8:29 am
- The Columbus Day holiday has been sinking quicker than the Santa Maria off the coast of Haiti. Only 23 states still celebrate Columbus Day. But the Italic Institute of America hopes to right the ship by coming to the explorer’s defense.
Oct 08 2016 | 10:33 pm
- Diplomas? There are no diplomas in baseball. Well, not many. But current Cubs and former Dartmouth College pitcher Kyle Hendricks brings his Ivy League education to ivy-covered Wrigley Field Saturday night to take on current Giants and former Notre...
Oct 08 2016 | 12:55 am
- While Cubs fans deal with odd distractions such as a billy goat, black cat or an infamous foul ball, Giants fans count on winning the World Series just because they have a recent habit of winning titles in even-numbered years.
Oct 06 2016 | 7:25 am
- Chicago fans eyeing the Cubs playoff run haven’t felt this confident about a postseason since the 1985 Bears rolled to a Super Bowl championship. But the similarities don’t end there.
Oct 02 2016 | 12:47 am
- A longtime volunteer at a group home for homeless veterans trying to get their lives back on track, Terry McGrath of Wheaton loves the stories of the guys who succeed. With Cooke’s Manor closing this month, McGrath worries that some veterans...