Sep 30 2014 | 5:48 am
- In a show of cooperation between Christians and Jews, Holy Family Church in Inverness will host the Beth Tikvah congregation of Hoffman Estates for Yom Kippur. The trickiest part is hiding the 2,000-pound cross with Jesus.
Sep 28 2014 | 5:57 am
- For the first time in state's history, single adults make up more than half the population of Illinois. What does this mean for the suburban stereotype of a husband, wife, son, daughter and an adorable dog?
Sep 25 2014 | 5:17 am
- To make room for the future of Wrigley Field, the Cubs push some of us out of our regular seats to make room for the new video scoreboard control room. Fans will adapt, promises a 90-year-old Cubs fan who learned to live without "Ladies' Day."
Sep 22 2014 | 5:22 pm
- “It's a knockout deal,” read the tweet offering 20 percent discounts at Cheesie's Pub and Grub. “We're calling it the Ray Rice ;)” “I was so sad to see that, because I personally love Cheesie's,” says Karli...
Sep 21 2014 | 1:08 am
- Bombarded with come-ons for pumpkin lattes, pumpkin shakes, pumpkin beer and even pumpkin Pop Tarts, suburbanites may be sick of pumpkin before that first fall taste of pumpkin pie. Not Marilyn Alice Tuckman, author of "For the Love of Pumpkins."...
Sep 18 2014 | 8:27 am
- Television can offer a respite from reality. But for the women and children victims of abuse seeking haven in suburban shelters, the NFL's "Thursday Night Football" broadcast offers plenty of news about the violence that they are trying to escape.
Sep 15 2014 | 8:18 pm
- In 2008, a simple idea to send a few pizzas to soldiers overseas turned into Pizzas 4 Patriots. That spawned Packages 4 Patriots. Now, those groups are working together with Operation Cookie Drop, a plan to deliver 13,000 boxes of Girl Scout cookies...
Sep 14 2014 | 1:35 am
- You don't have to be part of a research lab, wear a white coat or even have a degree to be an important part of scientific research. There are hundreds of opportunities for "citizen scientists" to weigh in on everything from bugs to dogs to space to...
Sep 11 2014 | 4:55 am
- The family moments are a little forced, but the sentiments behind them are painfully real. As we drop off our 18-year-old twin sons at college, my wife and I realize our family will never by the same.
Sep 07 2014 | 7:47 am
- The wild Woodstock-like music fest on the Constable family farm outside Goodland, Ind., 33 years ago set the foundation for this month's Goodstock benefit concert featuring a suburban band.