Breaking News Bar
updated: 5/12/2018 10:36 PM

Officials: Solar panels cause fire at Bolingbrook Ikea

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
By Natalie Watts
Daily Herald correspondent

The Ikea in Bolingbrook is open after a fire Saturday evening caused by solar panels, according to the Bolingbrook Fire Department.

Firefighters were dispatched just before 5 p.m. for a report of a rooftop fire at the store, 750 E. Boughton Road, Battalion Chief Dan Ross said. Upon arrival, crews discovered that a set of the store's solar panels was on fire, according to Ross.

The fire was under control within 25 minutes, Ross said, and everyone in the store was safely evacuated. No injuries were reported.

The cost of damage has not been estimated yet, but a relatively small portion of the store's solar panels were damaged by the fire, Ross said. The store was able to reopen less than two hours after the fire was extinguished.

The fire remains under investigation by the fire department.

Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.