It's pre 21st century! I couldn't change my family room because my mom lived with me. However, she just recently passed away ... Too much change for her was not a good thing, but I am so ready now. The furniture is 24 years old and that old, smudgy gunk on the fireplace bricks just won't come off.
The room needs TLC as it's the most lived-in room in the house.
Design by OHi LLC
Expert: Mary Aubry, sales and design consultant, www.contactohi.com.
Lighten up and declutter! The fireplace wall is great but has room for improvement. The wood flooring is a nice start but needs some refreshing. That great slider needs a little attention. Addressing these areas and then the furniture will move this room right back into the 21st century.
• I think of this as a fun and fabulous space. There are a lot of good points to this family room. Start by refinishing the existing hardwood floors in a new color.
• Remove the fireplace mantle and bricks that are sticking out underneath the mantle. Install a silver travertine ledger stone over the existing brick. A reclaimed wood mantle adds that finishing touch to the fireplace.
• The sliding door could use luminettes. This will help to diffuse the light and glare for better TV watching. It also gives the window a finished look without being heavy or bulky.
• Then I would paint the bookshelves a charcoal gray with a deep cream inside to accent the new stone fireplace. Declutter the bookshelves once these are painted.
• Install can lighting, update the ceiling fan and floor lamps. Layered lighting in rooms are key for the different activities in family rooms.
This room suddenly becomes fun and fab with just a few tweaks! Add furniture for the completed look.