Businessman Ellis M. Goodman of Glencoe was an accountant in his native London, England, in the 1960s with clients such as the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, Herman's Hermits, and David Bowie.
During this tax season, he recalled those early days of rock 'n' roll. But they were just clients who happened to be in the music industry, Goodman says.
"They could have been here today and gone tomorrow. We didn't know back then," Goodman said about rock 'n' roll. "It was often a fight with management on how things were spent and it all could have been exhausting."
The accountant later became an investor in music, movies and real estate before writing books. At 80, he has no plans of slowing down or retiring.
When the accountant moved into investing, he was involved in the music label called GTO Records, which featured Billy Ocean, the Walker Brothers and others. Goodman also later produced documentaries and a movie, "The Greek Tycoon" with Anthony Quinn and Jacqueline Bisset.
"When I got into movies, it was a mistake," he said. "It's hard to make a profit. I didn't fancy it that much."
He later came to Chicago to become the CEO of the U.S. operations of Barton Brands, known for Canadian Mist and Corona beer. The company was acquired by Canandaigua Wine Co., which later became Constellation Brands. Goodman moved onto other business deals.
He has since been involved in real estate acquisitions of various commercial properties and developments. He owns Kings Hill Farms, an organic farm in Mineral Point, Wisconsin, and Coda Gallery, an art gallery in Palm Desert, California.
Besides his investments, he still dabbles in documentaries. His latest is called "Art Paul: The Man Behind the Bunny," about the Playboy Magazine's graphic art director who designed the logo. Goodman is still negotiating its release, possibly this fall on public television.
He also has written three books, "Corona: The Inside Story of America's No. 1 Imported Beer," and two novels "Bear Any Burden" and the recently released "The Keller Papers." He just started writing a fourth book, he said.
"I'm 80, but I cannot believe I'm saying that," he said.
Richard and Roxelyn Pepper of Barrington were honored last week for supporting Maryville's Center for Children. The couple received Maryville's Guardian Medallion Award by Sister Catherine M. Ryan, Maryville's executive director. Richard is the son of the founder of Pepper Construction Group LLC, which has offices in Chicago and Barrington.
Home improvement advise
Mike Aukerman and his son-in-law, Jason Derouin, will debut their new design center on April 20 at their company, DreamMaker Bath & Kitchen, 1000 Butterfield Road in Vernon Hills. Derouin also will give a presentation on the biggest remodeling mistakes that consumers make. Officials from the village and the Green Oaks, Libertyville, Mundelein Chamber of Commerce are expected to attend.
• Ty Gent has joined Rosemont-based US Foods Holding Corp. as chief supply chain officer. He will oversee all warehousing, transportation and supply chain strategy and operations, as well as safety programs and real estate.
• Amit Patel of Naperville and his brother, Kalpesh Patl of Munster, Indiana, plan to open 10 Cousins Subs franchises in the Chicago area over the next four years. They are also owners of OM Group, where they oversee more than 1,500 employees at 50 quick service restaurants and 40 gasoline/convenient store locations throughout the Midwest.
• Charlie Alutto, president and CEO of Lake Forest-based Stericycle, will speak at the Stifel Investor Summit in New Orleans, Louisiana on May 8, while Dan Ginnetti, chief financial officer, will speak at the Oppenheimer's 12th annual Industrial Growth Conference in New York on May 9.
• Neil Pendleton of Western Springs has been named managing director of Asset Services in Chicago for CBRE.
• Kenneth Preston Jones has been appointed the new president of Presence Saint Francis Hospital of Evanston.
• There's more to business than just the bottom line. We want to tell you about the people who make business work. Send news about people in business to email@example.com. Follow Anna Marie Kukec on LinkedIn and Facebook and as AMKukec on Twitter.