Breaking News Bar
updated: 3/9/2017 6:09 AM

Images: #TBT Gallery revisits suburban movie theaters

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
 

For over a century, suburbanites have been rushing to the local movie theaters to see the latest picture show.

The Berlin Wintergarten Theatre opened in 1895 becoming known as the first cinema, presenting a short silent film by the Skladanowsky brothers.

In Paris in 1900, two brothers, Louis and August Lumiere, presented the first commercial exhibition of projected motion pictures to a paying audience of multiple people.

By the 1920s, luxuriously ornate movie houses were popping up all over the suburbs.

The earliest was the Des Plaines Theater that opened on August 9, 1925 as a combination vaudeville and movie house with opening night featuring the film "Are Parents People" with Adolphe Menjou plus five vaudevillian acts on the stage.

The Arcada Theatre in St. Charles was built in 1926 by millionaire Lester J. Norris. It was written that the Arcada's grand opening was so popular that hundreds of people were turned away. The nights' feature film was "The Last Frontier" and included the vaudeville acts of Fibber McGee and Molly Lora.

The Catlow Theater opened on May 28, 1927 by Wright Catlow with "Slide, Kelly, Slide" as its first feature film. The interior was design by renowned sculptor & designer, Alfonso Iannelli.

On December 25, 1927, the Genesee Theatre in Waukegan opened to the public with the film "The Valley of the Giants."

The Tivoli Theatre in Downers Grove was designed in the French Renaissance-style and opened in 1928 with the 1928 Howard Hawks romance movie, "Fazil."

By the 50s and 60s, people began watching movies outdoors at drive-in theaters.

The 53 Outdoor Theatre in Palatine originally opened in 1960 with a single screen and a capacity of 765 cars. The theater located near Route 12 and Route 53 was later called 53 Drive-in and played all genre's of films from main stream Hollywood movies to art movies, horror flicks and adult films.

Originally named the M&R Twin Drive-In in Wheeling, the outdoor venue opened August 19, 1966 near Milwaukee Avenue with a double feature of "Georgy Girl" and "Three on a Couch". The outdoor theater later was renamed Wheeling Twin Drive-In in 1978.

Got an idea for a suburban #TBT Gallery? Share your ideas and photos with us at tbt@dailyherald.com. Share your favorite and memorable #TBT photos with us on Instagram using #tbtsuburbs.

The Catlow Theater in Barrington in September in 1993.
The Catlow Theater in Barrington in September in 1993.
Daily Herald file photo by Dan White
Genesee Theatre in Waukegan in 1944.
Genesee Theatre in Waukegan in 1944.
Courtesy of the Waukegan historical society
Des Plaines Theatre, date unknown
Des Plaines Theatre, date unknown
Courtesy of the Des Plaines Historical Society
Pickwick Theater in Park Ridge in September of 1993.
Pickwick Theater in Park Ridge in September of 1993.
Daily Herald file photo by Dan White
Exterior of Arcada Theatre, date unknown.
Exterior of Arcada Theatre, date unknown.
Courtesy of the Arcada Theatre
53 Drive-In Theater in Palatine in March of 1987.
53 Drive-In Theater in Palatine in March of 1987.
Daily Herald file photo
The Arcada Theater on Main Street in St. Charles in 1929.
The Arcada Theater on Main Street in St. Charles in 1929.
Courtesy of the Arcada Theatre
Tivoli Theater in Downers Grove in March 1991.
Tivoli Theater in Downers Grove in March 1991.
Daily Herald file photo by Bev Horne
The DuPage Theatre in Lombard in August 1992.
The DuPage Theatre in Lombard in August 1992.
Daily Herald file photo by Jeff Knox
Cars at the Twin Drive-in in Wheeling in June 1994.
Cars at the Twin Drive-in in Wheeling in June 1994.
Daily Herald file photo by Mark Black
The Des Plaines Theater in September of 1992.
The Des Plaines Theater in September of 1992.
Daily Herald file photo
Mundelein Cinema in December 1996.
Mundelein Cinema in December 1996.
Daily Herald file photo
Prospect Theatre in Mount Prospect in March of 1991.
Prospect Theatre in Mount Prospect in March of 1991.
Daily Herald file photo
Dundee Theatre in September of 1992.
Dundee Theatre in September of 1992.
Daily Herald file photo
Cars line up to get into the Twin Drive-In Theater in Wheeling in August 1990.
Cars line up to get into the Twin Drive-In Theater in Wheeling in August 1990.
Daily Herald file photo by Dan White
Des Plaines Theater circa 1926-1929 featuring Sally of the Sawdust on the marquee.
Des Plaines Theater circa 1926-1929 featuring Sally of the Sawdust on the marquee.
Courtesy of the Des Plaines Historical Society
Richard Nixon supporters have a sign posted on the Arcada Theater marquee in St. Charles showing their support for Nixon over John F. Kennedy Jr. while the then Senator visited the area.
Richard Nixon supporters have a sign posted on the Arcada Theater marquee in St. Charles showing their support for Nixon over John F. Kennedy Jr. while the then Senator visited the area.
Courtesy of the Arcada Theatre
The Genesee theater in downtown Waukegan in May 2002.
The Genesee theater in downtown Waukegan in May 2002.
Daily Herald file photo
Des Plaines Theatre, date unknown
Des Plaines Theatre, date unknown
courtesy of the Des Plaines Historical Society
The Tivoli Theater built in Downers Grove in 1938, is one of the Chicago market's oldest movie houses.
The Tivoli Theater built in Downers Grove in 1938, is one of the Chicago market's oldest movie houses.
Daily Herald file photo
Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
    Winner - 2015 Best Website
    Illinois Press Association
    Illinois Press Association