Breaking News Bar
posted: 8/16/2014 12:01 PM

Mayor: 34 killed in C. African Republic attacks

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
Associated Press

BANGUI, Central African Republic -- A local official says Muslim rebels in Central African Republic have killed at least 34 people over the last week in a series of attacks on remote villages.

The violence comes as the country wracked by conflict awaits the arrival of a U.N. peacekeeping mission next month.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Bienvenu Sarapata, mayor of the Mbres commune north of the capital, Bangui, said Saturday that the attacks were committed by former members of the Seleka alliance that ruled the country for 10 months.

The Seleka fighters left power in January and they have regrouped in the northern part of the country in recent months, launching new attacks.

Witnesses in Mbres say the rebels threatened to assault other villages in the coming weeks before the U.N. peacekeepers arrive on the ground in mid-September.

Share this page
  • This article filed under:
  • News
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.