American Red Cross officials offer several tips everyone should know when swimming at the pool, beach or a lake.
• Swim in designated areas supervised by lifeguards.
• Use personal flotation devices in middle of water.
• Always swim with a buddy. Do not allow anyone to swim alone.
• Have young children or inexperienced swimmers wear U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jackets around water, but do not rely on them alone. Maintain constant supervision.
• Drink plenty of water regularly, even if you're not thirsty. Avoid drinks with alcohol or caffeine.
• Pay especially close attention to children and seniors when at the beach. Even in shallow water, wave action can cause a loss of footing.
• Enroll in home pool safety, water safety, first aid and CPR/AED courses to learn how to prevent and respond to emergencies.