Breaking News Bar
updated: 6/18/2014 9:32 PM

Lightning sparks North Aurora fire

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
 

A lighting strike Wednesday night at a North Aurora house ignited the lint inside a clothes dryer vent hose, creating a small fire, authorities said.

No one was injured in the 7:30 p.m. blaze on the 200 block of Long Avenue. But the house didn't have working smoke detectors, and it could've been much worse if a woman who smelled smoke wasn't home, North Aurora Fire Capt. Todd Zies said,

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

"It's fortunate she was home," Zies said.

The lighting didn't strike the house. Zies believes it hit the ground and then traveled underground to the clothes dryer, which was in a first-floor laundry room.

"It was really weird," Zies said.

A damage estimate was not available.

In addition to regularly cleaning lint from dryer traps, people should remove debris from the vent hoses at least once every six months, Zies said.

The fire also should serve as a reminder for people to make sure their smoke detectors work, Zies said.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.