1. Hope, Patti and Joel Clousing say, is what they always had for their 19-year-old son Keenan -- despite the seven trips to rehab, the multiple stints in jail, the three horrific overdoses and the heroin addiction that ultimately took his life on March 1.
2. D'Andre Howard -- the man who prosecutors say stabbed to death 18-year-old Laura Engelhardt, her father Alan and her maternal grandmother Marlene Gacek -- goes on trial this week for the murders five years ago in Hoffman Estates.
3. A 42-year-old Marmion coach suffered serious injuries Friday night after being hit in the head with a 12-pound shot put before an IHSA sectional track meet at Elgin High School, officials said.
4. One person was dead and two relatives were injured after a shooting Monday evening in Huntley, police said. Mark R. Grundei, 50, shot his brother, Robert, 47, in the head and shoulder, killing him, as they were fighting around 5 p.m. in the Sun City house, and Mark Grundei also shot his 81-year-old mother, Alyce Grundei, as she was trying to break up her fighting sons, Police Chief John Perkins said.
5. The 10-year-old boy who suffered a head injury after a store awning fell on him Sunday in Mundelein spent his Memorial Day resting, his father said Monday.
6. The body of George S. Schnabele was lowered into its final resting place 130 years ago. The tombstone marking that spot recently turned up in a forest preserve near Northbrook, causing its finder to wonder how it got there.
7. An 18-year-old Elgin woman has been charged in the November beating death of a 19-year-old woman from the same city, police said, adding the fight was over a guy. 8. When asked to grade his freshman performance, Wauconda Mayor Frank Bart acknowledged things haven't gone smoothly. "I think (we earned) a C," he told the Daily Herald. "We've had successes, but we've also had failures that we need to address." We interviewed him as his second year is beginning.
9. Des Plaines fire officials are investigating a suspicious fire Saturday at Algonquin Middle School.
10. A student at Stevenson High School died unexpectedly at home Thursday night, officials at the school reported Friday.