Two plumbers were injured when a propane tank they were using malfunctioned and caused a "minor explosion" at a Dundee Township home, authorities said.
The workers were in the crawl space Monday, conducting plumbing repairs to a house on the 35W000 block of Fontenac Drive when the propane tank they were using exploded, Rutland Dundee Fire Protection District Chief Richard Thomas said.
Contact information ( * required )
"Basically, it somehow caught fire in a minor explosion within that area, which sent both of the workers to the hospital with some burns and injuries."
Firefighters received a call about the accident at 10:25 a.m. When they arrived, Thomas said, the fire started by the explosion already had burned out.
The house suffered some smoke damage, but the fire district deemed it habitable and turned it back over to the owners on Monday, Thomas said.
The injured workers were taken to Sherman Hospital in Elgin, but Thomas was unsure of their condition.