Unattended cooking has been identified as the cause of a Naperville apartment fire that killed a 39-year-old woman last Thursday night, authorities said.
The fire began about 11:30 p.m. in a second-floor unit on the 100 block of Douglas Road, and it claimed the life of Cariene Jones, according to the DuPage County coroner's office.
Naperville Fire Department Deputy Chief Rick Sander said Jones was found unresponsive in a bedroom of the apartment where unattended cooking in the kitchen apparently sparked the fire.
Fire department personnel tried to revive Jones in an ambulance, but she was pronounced dead at Edward Hospital in Naperville.
Jones' official cause of death has not yet been determined, and Sander said the fire department continues to investigate the fire, which caused about $100,000 in damage to the three-story apartment building and rendered two units uninhabitable.