Breaking News Bar
updated: 3/21/2014 5:50 PM

Home improvement project sparks fire in Vernon Hills

Success - Article sent! close
Daily Herald report

A homeowner trying to remove flooring adhesive during a home improvement project touched off a blaze that damaged a townhouse building in Vernon Hills, fire officials said Friday.

Countryside Fire Protection District officials were called with a report of a flash fire in a six-unit townhouse at 9:53 a.m., officials said in a news release.

The fire began when fumes from an extremely flammable adhesive removal product ignited in the living room of a unit on the 300 block of Tyler Court, the release stated. The area was not well ventilated, according to the release.

Fumes also appeared to fill a concealed space between two other units, and a common storage area of the building, the release stated.

Crews arrived within five minutes and found an active fire. After smoke conditions did not improve, the alarm was upgraded for additional manpower and equipment.

The fire was contained to the unit where it started and did not spread to three other units. It was under control in 45 minutes, the release stated. Other units suffered some water and smoke damage, and the Red Cross assisted families that needed shelter.

The building is inhabitable until the village's building department completes an inspection, the release stated. Preliminary damage estimate to the units and contents is about $150,000.

Countryside Fire Protection District was assisted by fire departments from Libertyville, Mundelein, Lincolnshire-Riverwoods, Knollwood, Lake Bluff, Lake Zurich, Long Grove, Gurnee and Grayslake, and Vernon Hills police.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.