The Aurora Junior Woman's Club, together with Aurora Children's Dental Service, will present their 55th musical an adaptation of "Mary Poppins" at 7 p.m. Friday, March 14, and 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Saturday, March 15, in the West Aurora High School auditorium at 1201 W. New York St., Aurora. Tickets are $6 with proceeds benefiting local charities.
New this year, all seating will be reserved and tickets are available online at sd129tickets.org. Advanced ticket purchase is recommended, limited seating will be available at the door. For more information, visit aurorajuniorwomansclub.org.
"Attending the Aurora Junior Woman's Club production is a tradition for so many families," states Stephanie Leo of Aurora, teacher at Fearn Elementary who will play the title role. "The show provides colorful costumes and is filled with entertaining characters. All the characters will available after the show for autographs and photos with the audience members."
The show, directed by Kathy Martin of Aurora, boasts an all-female cast. The script is edited, performed, directed and staged by Aurora Junior Woman's Club/Aurora Children's Dental Service club members. These organizations are made up of women who have been dedicated to serving the needs of Aurora area children for more than 50 years. Each year, the club stages a play to entertain the families of the Fox Valley. The cost of the tickets is deliberately kept low so families on a limited budget can experience the joy of seeing live performances. The profits from the performances go directly back to the community in the form of dental work for children who otherwise would not be able to afford the care. It also funds donations to school theater programs and other local charitable endeavors.
Cast list includes:
• Aurora: Stephanie Leo (Mary Poppins), Sue Rahn (Mr. Banks), Gina Torbett (Michael), Shanna Lorenz (Jane), Lisa Roscoe (Uncle Albert), Pat Dawson (Mr. Dawes), Keri Benjamin (Nanny), Vanessa Tolliver (Ellen), Cherie Esposito (Mrs. Brill), Juli Pealstrom (Minion), Michele Abadie (Nanny Jo), Cindy Laurent (Chorus), Mattie Greenacre (Chorus), Bette Weaver (Bird Woman), Donna Goodlet (Chorus), Kathy Lawson (Chorus), Meredith Vandre (Chorus), Heidi Humison (Chorus)
• Batavia: Diane Wildy (Chorus)
• Big Rock: JoAnn Kline (Chorus)
• Montgomery: Sandy Murphy (Mr. Dawes, Jr.), Dee Rodriguez (Nanny)
• North Aurora: Sally Broker (Mrs. Banks), Ann Marie Decker (Miss Andrew), Carol Fick (Katie Norma)
• Oswego: Amy Weiland (Chorus)
• Sugar Grove: Madelyn Weed (Bert), Amy Nitsche (Mr. Grouse), Jill Fisher (Nanny McPhee)