Film critics notebook:
• The 7th annual Geneva Film Festival continues through Saturday, March 8, with showings at Dodson Place, Fulton Avenue and 2nd Street, in downtown Geneva.
Contact information ( * required )
One of the judges, Paolo Cascio, a 1981 graduate of Schaumburg High School, is a Hollywood cinematographer who worked on such local projects as "Groundhog Day."
"I've been a big supporter of the Geneva film festival, and I'm really honored to have been asked by the founder Scott Rolf to be a judge this year," Cascio said. "The quality of content continually grows and this is the most impressive year with films coming in from countries all over the world."
More than 40 films will be shown at the fest, which closes Saturday night with an "It's a Wrap!" party. Go to genevafilmfestival.org.
• It's the Buster Keaton Weekend at the Leela Arts Center, 620 Lee St., Des Plaines. Keaton's classic "The General" plus the short "Cops" play Friday, March 7. "Steamboat Bill Jr." and the short "The Garage" play Saturday, March 8. "College" and the short "Back Stage" play Sunday, March 9. Sponsored by the Silent Film Society of Chicago. See silentfilmchicago.com for ticket prices.
• The After Hours Film Society presents the winner of the Best Foreign Language Oscar, Paolo Sorrentino's "The Great Beauty," at 7:30 p.m. Monday, March 10, at the Tivoli Theatre, 5021 Highland Ave., Downers Grove. Tickets cost $9. Go to afterhoursfilmsociety.com.
• The Chicago Film Critics Association presents Richard Curtis' 2003 "Love, Actually" at 1 and 7 p.m. Tuesday, March 11, at Classic Cinemas Elk Grove Theatre, 1050 Arlington Heights Road, Elk Grove Village. I'll be hosting the 7 p.m. show and conduct a Q&A. Go to classiccinemas.com for details.
• The movies of the amazing Meryl Streep (record holder for most Oscar nominations at 14) will be celebrated at Dann & Raymond's Movie Club, 7:30 p.m. Thursday, March 14, at the Arlington Memorial Library, 500 N. Dunton Ave., Arlington Heights. Free admission. Clips from "The Deer Hunter," "Sophie's Choice," "Doubt," "The Devil Wears Prada" and others! Go to ahml.info.
• A Spanish version of the drama "Son of God" will be presented from March 7 to 13 at the Cinema 12 Theatre, 100 LW Besinger Drive, Carpentersville. classiccinemas.com.
• Monday, March 10, marks the deadline to submit entries in the Schaumburg Prairie Arts Center's Screen Test Student Fest video shorts competition. More than $1,000 in cash will be awarded. Go to screenteststudentfest.org.
• Dann Gire's Reel Life column runs Fridays in Time out!