The Palatine Park District earlier this month honored 23 volunteers for their service to affiliate groups and associated organizations.
The volunteers were chosen by each organization for their service during 2013, and recognized during a luncheon held at Cotillion Banquets in Palatine.
In addition to the 23 volunteers honored, three individuals were named to the Palatine Park District Honor Roll. The honor roll recognizes those who have served in a leadership position with their organization, had significant years of service and demonstrated an outstanding contribution to their organization.
The 2013 Honor Roll inductees are Terry Ruff of Celtic Soccer, Jeff Ryder of Palatine Baseball Association, and Fred Scharm of Algonquin Longhouse.
The honor roll candidates are chosen yearly by the Volunteer of the Year/Honor Roll committee, which reviews all past and current volunteers and provides recommendations to the Palatine Park District Board of Commissioners for consideration. The Volunteer of the Year/Honor Roll committee includes Donelda Danz, Linda Fleming, Dennis Hanson, Jim Lennon, Joshua Ludolph, Carolyn Mangold, Gus Panos, Don Torgersen, and Keith Williams.
Steve Herbst, the guest speaker at this year's event, shared stories of volunteerism and of Chic Anderson. Along with Jimmy Kinsella and Dennis Hanson, Anderson was one of the three founders of the Palatine Park District Volunteer of the Year and Honor Roll programs. He passed away last year.
The 23 individuals named Volunteer of the Year for 2013 are:
• Sharon Ball -- Community Theater Volunteer, Fremont Street Theater Company
• Jim Burke -- Palatine Celtic Cup
• Dave Carver -- Palatine Amateur Football Association
• Jennifer DiGioia -- Palatine Gymnastics Club
• Patric Donahue -- Palatine Township Senior Citizens Council
• Bob "Soaring Hawk" Fitch -- Algonquin Longhouse
• Sharon Griffin -- Palatine Stables
• Andrea Guthrie -- Palatine Opportunity Center
• Mike Hasler -- Palatine Youth Baseball/Softball
• Brian Herner -- Prairie Woods Audubon Society
• Mike Kielba -- Palatine Children's Chorus
• Kenny Kiesler -- Palatine Penguins Lacrosse
• Randy Kochanski -- Palatine Baseball Association
• Tom Lucas -- Palatine Tiger Sharks Swim Team
• Linda Millar -- PAFA Spirit
• Tony Mulert -- Celtic Soccer Club
• Joe Petykowski -- Palatine Historical Society
• JoAnne Setze -- Bike Palatine Club
• Warren Taylor -- Palatine Rugby Club
• Jim Toth -- Palatine Hills Golf Association
• Casey Wagner -- Recreation Department Volunteer
• Bob "OB" Worthy -- Palatine Emergency Management Agency
• Dave Zapatka -- Rolling Meadows Renegade Youth Hockey
The mission of Palatine Park District is to provide a variety of safe, enjoyable and affordable parks and recreation facilities and activities that will enhance the quality of life by promoting good health and well-being for all residents and visitors of the Palatine Park District.