Breaking News Bar
updated: 11/15/2013 11:01 AM

Hagel cites "troubling lapses" among nuke forces

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel is commenting publicly for the first time on what he calls "troubling lapses" of professionalism within the ranks of U.S. nuclear forces.

Hagel alludes to a series of missteps revealed by The Associated Press among those who work with the Air Force's nuclear missile force, including a failed inspection. Two senior nuclear commanders were fired amid misconduct investigations.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Hagel is speaking Friday at the headquarters of the military's nuclear war-fighting command in Omaha, Neb.

In prepared remarks, Hagel says the failures had been exposed by what he called "close scrutiny" and the Pentagon's most rigorous evaluations.

Hagel says the nuclear weapons force has "no room for error." He praises the retiring head of the command for enforcing tough standards.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
    help here