Breaking News Bar
updated: 11/6/2013 8:33 PM

Sex assault charge added against Mundelein kidnapping suspect

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • Jose E. Reyes

      Jose E. Reyes

 
 

A Chicago man accused of kidnapping a 3-year-old Mundelein girl this summer faces a new charge alleging he sexually assaulted the girl during her 30-minute ordeal.

Jose Reyes, 28, of the 4900 block of West North Avenue, was indicted by a Lake County grand jury Wednesday on felony counts of predatory criminal sexual assault and possession of child pornography, Assistant Lake County State's Attorney Fred Day said.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Reyes already faced charges of aggravated kidnapping and kidnapping stemming from the girl's Sept. 30 abduction. If found guilty of the most serious allegations he could be imprisoned for life under possible sentencing enhancements. A trial date has not yet been set, but Reyes is next due in court over the new charges Nov. 14.

The child pornography in question was a video, Mundelein Police Chief Eric Guenther said. The sex assault charge stems from additional evidence uncovered during the investigation, he said.

"This is a very upsetting case for the family and the victim," he said. "Waiting for this evidence and information to come forth was a traumatic period. Now we leave it to the justice system."

Reyes has been in custody at the Lake County jail in lieu of $5 million bail since his Oct. 3 arrest at his Libertyville workplace.

Authorities said Reyes was behind the wheel of his 2007 Hyundai Accent about 5:30 p.m. Sept. 30 when he pulled up next to the 3-year-old girl and her 9-year-old sister near the entrance to the Deepwoods Apartment complex on the 500 block of Deepwoods Drive.

After the older girl refused a candy offering, authorities said, Reyes grabbed the younger child, strapped her in the front seat of his vehicle and sped off while the 9-year-old screamed for help.

About 30 minutes later a man found the girl wandering in a nearby parking lot and phoned police. The girl was taken to a nearby hospital.

Video surveillance from where the girl was dropped off, as well as a traffic ticket that recently had been issued to Reyes, led police to interview and arrest him.

• Daily Herald staff writer Russell Lissau contributed to this report.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.