Breaking News Bar
updated: 10/14/2013 1:52 PM

Child playing with matches sparks Aurora condo fire

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • Aurora firefighters respond Sunday afternoon to a fire sparked by an 11-year-old playing with matches on the second-floor balcony of a condominium building on the 1400 block of McClure Road. The fire caused $500,000 in damage and displaced between 25 and 30 people, but no one was injured.

      Aurora firefighters respond Sunday afternoon to a fire sparked by an 11-year-old playing with matches on the second-floor balcony of a condominium building on the 1400 block of McClure Road. The fire caused $500,000 in damage and displaced between 25 and 30 people, but no one was injured.
    Courtesy of Steve Becker

  • Aurora firefighters vent the roof of a condominium building on the 1400 block of McClure Road, where an 11-year-old playing with matches about 4:30 p.m. Sunday sparked a fire that caused $500,000 in damage and displaced between 25 and 30 people.

      Aurora firefighters vent the roof of a condominium building on the 1400 block of McClure Road, where an 11-year-old playing with matches about 4:30 p.m. Sunday sparked a fire that caused $500,000 in damage and displaced between 25 and 30 people.
    Courtesy of Steve Becker

 
 

Between 25 and 30 residents of an Aurora condominium complex were displaced Sunday afternoon when a fire sparked by an 11-year-old playing with matches damaged their units, authorities said Monday.

The fire began about 4:30 p.m. on the 1400 block of McClure Road, and it drew 30 Aurora firefighters to extinguish what they categorized as a two-alarm blaze, Lt. Craig Mateski said.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Eight of the 16 units in the building were damaged -- two by the fire and six others by smoke and water, Mateski said. The fire began in an upstairs balcony of the two-story building as a child played with matches, he said.

Firefighters left the scene about 8 p.m. Sunday and the displaced residents were assisted by city of Aurora victim services and the Red Cross.

Mateski said no residents or firefighters were injured in the fire, which caused about $500,000 in damage to the building.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.