Breaking News Bar
updated: 10/8/2013 7:59 AM

Area pumpkin farmers say this year's crop is good

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • Vicki Hynes, left, and her daughter, Jessica, of Roselle pick out just the right pumpkins Monday afternoon at Goebbert's Pumpkin Patch in Hampshire.

       Vicki Hynes, left, and her daughter, Jessica, of Roselle pick out just the right pumpkins Monday afternoon at Goebbert's Pumpkin Patch in Hampshire.
    Christopher Hankins | Staff Photographer

  • Didier Farms on Aptakisic Road in Lincolnshire is stocked with plenty of pumpkins.

       Didier Farms on Aptakisic Road in Lincolnshire is stocked with plenty of pumpkins.
    Paul Valade | Staff Photographer

  • It's a bumper crop this year in Illinois, as evidenced by the abundance of pumpkins at Didier Farms on Aptakisic Road in Lincolnshire.

       It's a bumper crop this year in Illinois, as evidenced by the abundance of pumpkins at Didier Farms on Aptakisic Road in Lincolnshire.
    Paul Valade | Staff Photographer

  • Vicki Hynes, right, and her daughter Jessica pick out just the right pumpkins Monday afternoon at Goebbert's Pumpkin Patch in Hampshire. The Hyneses live in Roselle.

       Vicki Hynes, right, and her daughter Jessica pick out just the right pumpkins Monday afternoon at Goebbert's Pumpkin Patch in Hampshire. The Hyneses live in Roselle.
    Christopher Hankins | Staff Photographer

  • Vicki Hynes of Roselle, left, and her daughter Jessica pick out just the right pumpkins Monday afternoon at Goebbert's Pumpkin Patch in Hampshire.

       Vicki Hynes of Roselle, left, and her daughter Jessica pick out just the right pumpkins Monday afternoon at Goebbert's Pumpkin Patch in Hampshire.
    Christopher Hankins | Staff Photographer

 
 

This year's pumpkin year's harvest is shaping up to produce a bumper crop, according to Illinois farmers.

The weather can be thanked: Plenty of rain at the right time early in the season, and the lack of it in August and September, according to Patty Wiltse Marco, a fourth-generation farmer at Wiltse's Farm Produce in Maple Park.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Wiltse's plants pumpkin seeds from April until early June. The rains in June came just when the pumpkins wanted, as the vines were blossoming and setting fruit.

Illinois is the nation's top pumpkin producer.

The state harvested almost a third of the nation's total pumpkin acreage last year, according to federal agriculture statistics. That yielded about 623 million pounds of pumpkins, which are technically a fruit.

Most of the pumpkins grown in Illinois are used for cooking and canning. But others are decorative.

At Wiltse's, they grow nine varieties of pumpkins, including the big traditional ones and the small orange ones people think of as pie pumpkins. But they also grow heirloom varieties such as the tan Long Island Cheese and the orange Cinderella, a flat pumpkin.

"This is what the Pilgrims would have used for pumpkin pie," Marco said.

The weather has also been great for bringing visitors out, she said; the last two years were cold and wet around this time, Marco said. If the fields are too muddy, they keep people out of the "U-pick" fields.

She likes answering people's questions.

"A lot of them are getting out of touch with how things are grown," she said. By the way, if you want your pumpkin to last, pick one without cuts. Wash it in a mild bleach solution, don't cut it, and keep it out of direct sunlight, Marco said.

Terry Goebbert's family has been growing pumpkins and selling them in Hampshire and South Barrington since the 1950s. This year, the family planted 42 acres of pumpkins.

About 80 percent of this year's crop includes decorative varieties while the remaining 20 percent are pumpkins that are best used for canning and pies.

"The harvest has been wonderful," Goebbert said. "It's been one of our better years."

• The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
    help here