Boy buried by Indiana sand dune leaves hospital
- Photos (1)
Nathan Woessner visits the Comer Children Hospital's rooftop landing pad earlier this week. The boy survived being buried for more than three hours in a dune at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore on July 12.
Courtesy of University of Chicago Medicine
A 6-year-old Illinois boy who survived being buried by a sand dune has been released from the hospital, less than two weeks after the accident in Indiana.
Officials said Nathan Woessner of Sterling was discharged late Tuesday afternoon from the University of Chicago Medicine Comer Children's Hospital.
The boy was rescued after being buried for more than three hours on July 12 in a dune called Mount Baldy at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.
The hospital says Nathan will continue to receive rehabilitative therapy. Doctors say he walked without assistance Sunday and was cleared to visit the hospital playroom Monday.
Doctors initially put Nathan in a medically induced coma. They say he's expected to make a full neurological recovery but may suffer lingering lung problems from inhaling sand.
- Share Facebook Twitter
Article sent to (required)E-mail
Article sent from (required)E-mail Name
Subject Line (article title)
Message (optional)Success - Article sent Click to close
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.
Contact information ( * required )Name * Company Telephone * E-mail *
Article InformationTitle URL
Message (optional)Success - Reprint request sent Click to close