Breaking News Bar
updated: 7/4/2013 7:26 AM

Death toll from Indonesian earthquake rises to 30

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • An Acehnese man carries a sack of rice he salvaged from a shop destroyed by Tuesday's earthquake at a market in Blang Mancung, Aceh province, Indonesia, Thursday, July 4, 2013. The death toll from an earthquake that hit Indonesia's Aceh province earlier this week has reached 30, and police and soldiers are searching the debris for another 12 people believed missing, officials said Thursday.

      An Acehnese man carries a sack of rice he salvaged from a shop destroyed by Tuesday's earthquake at a market in Blang Mancung, Aceh province, Indonesia, Thursday, July 4, 2013. The death toll from an earthquake that hit Indonesia's Aceh province earlier this week has reached 30, and police and soldiers are searching the debris for another 12 people believed missing, officials said Thursday.
    Associated Press

 
Associated Press

BLANG MANCUNG, Indonesia -- The death toll from an earthquake that hit Indonesia's Aceh province earlier this week has reached 30, and police and soldiers are searching the debris for another 12 people believed missing, officials said Thursday.

Sutopo Purwo Nugroho of the National Disaster Mitigation Agency said the main focus of recovery efforts Thursday was to search for more victims, assist the injured and provide supplies for those in need. He said 275 people were injured and more than 4,300 houses and buildings damaged in Tuesday's magnitude-6.1 quake.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Jarwansyah, who heads the Aceh provincial Disaster Mitigation Agency, said 6,500 displaced people were staying at 35 temporary shelters in both Central Aceh and Bener Meriah districts. He said many others were staying in tents outside their houses.

Nugroho said the items needed most by the displaced people were tents, blankets, mats, clothing and food supplies. He said the Social Ministry had dispatched 30 tons of rice and other supplies from the provincial and district governments.

Subhan Sahara of the local mitigation agency in Bener Meriah said the quake triggered landslides in at least 15 locations, covering roads and isolating nine villages. He said rescuers were trying to reach the villages.

Earthquakes frequently rattle Indonesia, which is prone to seismic upheaval due to its location on the Pacific Ring of Fire, an arc of volcanoes and fault lines encircling the Pacific Ocean.

In 2004, a magnitude-9.1 earthquake off Aceh triggered a tsunami that killed 230,000 people in 14 countries.

------

Associated Press writers Ali Kotarumalos and Niniek Karmini in Jakarta, Indonesia, contributed to this report.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.