Breaking News Bar
updated: 6/29/2013 12:56 AM

Konerko's back still acting up; DL possible

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • White Sox center fielder Alejandro De Aza chases down a double hit by Cleveland Indians' Jason Kipnis during the eighth inning of the first game of a doubleheader baseball game in Chicago, Friday, June 28, 2013. Cleveland won 19-10.

      White Sox center fielder Alejandro De Aza chases down a double hit by Cleveland Indians' Jason Kipnis during the eighth inning of the first game of a doubleheader baseball game in Chicago, Friday, June 28, 2013. Cleveland won 19-10.
    Associated Press

  • White Sox starting pitcher Hector Santiago walks to the dugout after being pulled during the third inning of the first game of a doubleheader baseball game against the Cleveland Indians in Chicago, Friday, June 28, 2013.

      White Sox starting pitcher Hector Santiago walks to the dugout after being pulled during the third inning of the first game of a doubleheader baseball game against the Cleveland Indians in Chicago, Friday, June 28, 2013.
    Associated Press

 
 

The bad news just keeps piling up on the White Sox.

After missing Tuesday and Wednesday's interleague games against the Mets with a sore lower back, Paul Konerko sat out Friday's doubleheader against the Indians.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Earlier in the day, the Sox' 37-year-old captain had six pain-killing injections after having an MRI on Thursday.

"Most guys that are as active as we are, there's some degeneration in your disks and I'm no different," said Konerko, who also had his back checked out in 2006. "There's one in there that's not as good as the others. I think there's a little bit of a tear around one of them but it's not something where you go in and fix it.

"We had the MRI from '06 and the MRI from yesterday and you can tell a little difference, but not that much. It was kind of the same, so I guess that's the good news. But obviously, I did something to aggravate it."

Konerko said he'll try to take batting practice Saturday. If he still can't swing, a trip to the disabled list is the likely next step.

"If I do get to swing a bat tomorrow or test it out, I'd think at that point I would know, just knowing what you need when you go out there to play, to be honest with them," Konerko said. "If I couldn't do it I don't want to hold them up. I don't want to be holding the team hostage with one less guy, but we'll see. I haven't tested it really at all. But I'll be honest with them and let them really know.

"If that's what needs to be done, that's what needs to be done, but I don't want to do that. I want to try and stay away from that."

Season to forget:

Expected to really break out this season after batting .255 with 25 home runs and 78 RBI in 2012, Dayan Viciedo has been slumping most of the year and is hitting .227 with just 5 homers and 22 RBI.

Viciedo was also pulled from Game 1 Friday night after a baserunning blunder in the eighth inning. He didn't start in Game 2.

"I think it bothers everybody," manager Robin Ventura said. "You take care of it and make sure they know it and you don't want to see it again."

The Sox' 24-year-old left fielder was out from April 20-May 8 with an oblique injury. When he came off the disabled list, Viciedo went on a 12-for-28 tear but has cooled off.

"Sometimes for him, I think he just tries to rush out and swing as hard as he can," Ventura said. "There needs to be a little more patience in the way he takes his at-bats and his approach. We've been working with him on something he can't really grasp right now as far as getting back and being patient. That's the frustrating part and he knows it, too."

Johnson watch:

In his second start for Class AAA Charlotte on Friday night, right-hander Erik Johnson got the win after pitching 7 innings against Louisville and allowing 2 runs (1 earned) on 3 hits. The 23-year-old pitcher also had 7 strikeouts.

Johnson has allowed 2 earned runs in 13 innings with Charlotte.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.