Breaking News Bar
updated: 6/11/2013 6:33 PM

Geneva man faces heroin charge after coffee shop arrest

Success - Article sent! close
  • Tyler E. White

    Tyler E. White


A Geneva man already facing charges of delivering Ecstasy was arrested at a local Starbucks and charged with possession of heroin.

Tyler E. White, 21, of the 300 block of North First Street, was arrested at 8:21 p.m. Monday at the Starbucks at 229 W. State St.

A person outside the Starbucks flagged down a passing police officer to report there was a man locked in a restroom, according to a Geneva police report. The officer managed to get the door open, and found a man on the floor. There was a cellophane wrapper on the floor, "several" foil packets on the back of the toilet and a used hypodermic needle on the floor, police said.

After moving the man from the floor, the officer noticed the foil packets had disappeared. He asked White, who was also there, where they were.

While another officer was speaking with White, the police department received an anonymous call suggesting they search White's shoes, police said. The officer then asked White to take off his right shoe. The officer found a hypodermic needle, a metal spoon and two cotton swabs in the shoe, police said. Two foil packets with a residue believed to be heroin were found in White's right sock, according to the report.

White was charged with possession of a controlled substance and obstruction of justice, both felonies. He was also charged with possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of hypodermic needles, as misdemeanors.

At the time of this arrest, White was free after posting $5,000 bond after an April 2013 arrest by the Kane County Sheriff's Department, which charged him with manufacture/delivery of more than 15, but fewer than 200, Ecstasy pills, according to court records.

The charge carries a prison term of six to 30 years with no possibility of probation. White is next due in court on Thursday. He is being held on $75,000 bail, meaning he must post $7,500 to be free while both cases are pending.

The other man was taken by paramedics to Delnor Hospital. He has not been charged, police said.

• Legal affairs reporter Harry Hitzeman contributed to this report.

Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.