Three simple ingredients -- a marshmallow, a piece of chocolate and two graham crackers. The symbol of summer and campfire snacking.
And there are so many possibilities for jazzing it up! Once you have a toasted marshmallow, you can sandwich it between all kinds of cookies, crackers and the like. Or you could swap out the basic chocolate for something a little more over-the-top, perhaps something with bacon or candied ginger embedded in it. And don't overlook gourmet marshmallows, which come in some wonderful flavors.
Contact information ( * required )
And don't hesitate to jam other ingredients in there, too. Liven up your s'mores with:
• Thin pretzel sticks
• Dried fruit (such as dried cherries and pineapple)
• Sweetened shredded coconut
• Thinly sliced fresh strawberries or apples
• Maraschino cherries
• Banana slices
• Thinly sliced brownie or cake (as an additional filling, not in place of the graham crackers)
• Potato chips
And here are more ideas to get your creativity flowing.
• Alison Ladman is a recipe developer for the AP. Follow her on Twitter @CrustAndCrumbCo