Three simple ingredients -- a marshmallow, a piece of chocolate and two graham crackers. The symbol of summer and campfire snacking.
And there are so many possibilities for jazzing it up! Once you have a toasted marshmallow, you can sandwich it between all kinds of cookies, crackers and the like. Or you could swap out the basic chocolate for something a little more over-the-top, perhaps something with bacon or candied ginger embedded in it. And don't overlook gourmet marshmallows, which come in some wonderful flavors.
And don't hesitate to jam other ingredients in there, too. Liven up your s'mores with:
• Thin pretzel sticks
• Dried fruit (such as dried cherries and pineapple)
• Sweetened shredded coconut
• Thinly sliced fresh strawberries or apples
• Maraschino cherries
• Banana slices
• Thinly sliced brownie or cake (as an additional filling, not in place of the graham crackers)
• Potato chips
And here are more ideas to get your creativity flowing.
• Alison Ladman is a recipe developer for the AP. Follow her on Twitter @CrustAndCrumbCo