• Shaulanda T. Coleman, 35, of the 3000 block of Bayside Drive, Palatine, was arrested around 4:07 a.m. April 6 at Rand and Wilke roads and charged with DUI and failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident. According to reports, her 2004 Chrysler Sebring convertible struck a wooden utility pole, breaking it in half and flipping her car on its side. Power lines were laying on the road and on her car, preventing rescuers from opening a door and freeing her. ComEd was contacted and power was cut off. She was taken to Northwest Community Hospital in Arlington Heights and was released the next day. Her court date is May 14.
• Emily M. Weiss, 19, of the 800 block of Miller Lane, Buffalo Grove, and Vanessa R. Schlangen, 19, of the 500 block of Williamsburg Court, Wheeling, were arrested around 8:35 p.m. April 5 at Kohl's, 800 W. Dundee Road, after they reportedly hid sunglasses, clothing and jewelry in their purses. Value was estimated at $579. Their court date is April 30.
• A man and woman stole a customer's purse from a chair at Barnes and Noble, 13 W. Rand Road, between 3 and 3:07 p.m. April 4. The victim noticed the female offender standing behind her while she sat on a chair. Her purse and jacket were on the next chair. She spoke to the woman, asking if she was in her way, and the male offender took the purse while she was distracted. The thieves left in a silver Chevrolet Malibu. Value was estimated at $30.
• An 89-year-old Arlington Heights woman was almost scammed out of more than $10,000 recently, police said. The victim received a call from a subject claiming to be a bank employee who said there was a problem with her account and she needed to send a check for the entire amount to another person. The victim wrote the check and put it in the mail, but after speaking to her daughter, they were able to retrieve the check. Both names mentioned in the phone conversation were actual employees of the bank, though one is employed at a bank office in South Africa.
• Vandals entered an unlocked 2002 Buick Lesabre in an unlocked garage on the 2200 block of East Palatine Road between 5 p.m. April 8 and 8 a.m. April 9, scattered papers from the glove box onto the floor of the car and set the papers on fire. They burned out without causing significant damage to the vehicle, reports said.
• Thieves stole a wallet with $27 in cash out of an unlocked locker at XSport Fitness, 900 W. Dundee Road, between 10 and 10:30 p.m. April 9. Someone used a credit card in the wallet twice at a Wendys in Palatine. Charges were estimated at $19.
• Vandals set fires in a 1997 Ford Contour, 1987 Cadillac Fleetwood, and 1999 Ford Ranger, belonging to Warren's Car Doctor, 533 S. Arthur Ave., between 5 p.m. April 5 and 9 a.m. April 8. Damage: the driver's-side visor in the Contour, the rear seat in the Cadillac, and the passenger's-side seat and smoke in the Ranger. Damage was estimated at $1,300.
• Burglars entered a tan 2003 Nissan Pathfinder in a driveway in the 3000 block of North Wilshire Lane without signs of force and removed an iPhone 4 valued at $300 overnight April 7. They also entered a green 1997 Jeep Wrangler in the same block about the same time by unsnapping the soft top and removing a GPS valued at $100, a black canvas backpack worth $45 containing textbooks valued at $175m and a Texas Instruments calculator valued at $90.
• Overnight April 6, vandals used white paint to tag the back of the "Arlington Crossings" support pillar at the northwest corner of Dryden and Wing streets, and spray-painted graffiti on three sections of the Recreation Park building and the pool building wall, 500 E. Miner St.
• Burglars entered an unlocked locker at XSport Fitness, 960 W. Dundee Road, about 10 p.m. April 1 and removed a brown wallet which contained $500 cash, a Russian drivers license and a credit card.
• Thieves took a black iPhone 5 valued at $600 which was left on the service counter at the AT&T store at 585 E. Palatine Road about 5 p.m. April 2.
• Vandals scratched a tan 2011 Honda Civic approximately 10 times on the rear fender and trunk lid while it was in an apartment lot on the 1000 block of South Fernandez between March 25 and April 2.
• Vandals shattered the rear window on a 1998 Honda Civic in a driveway on the 400 block of South Waterman between 10:30 and 11:10 p.m. April 5.
• Thieves stole an iPad and case out of a guest room at Red Roof Inn, 22 W. Algonquin Road, between 9:15 and 10:30 a.m. April 7. Value was estimated at $380.
• Thieves stole a purse with wallet and cellphone after the female customer left it in shopping cart when checking out at Mariano's Fresh Market, 802 E. Northwest Hwy., between 2 and 3 p.m. April 6. Value was estimated at $370. She did not miss her purse until the next day, reports added.
• Thieves stole a purse out of a customer's shopping cart at the Goodwill store, 1551 N. Dryden Ave., between 1:30 and 1:45 p.m. April 4. Value was estimated at $150.
• Burglars cut one rear patio screen door and opened another but did not get inside a home on the 2000 block of East Rosehill Drive between 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. April 9.
• Glen Alan Graf, 24, of the 200 block of South Oxford Road, Des Plaines, was arrested around 11 p.m. April 9 in an apartment lot on the 1600 block of East Mill Street and charged with city ordinances possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. His court date is May 3.
• Burglars broke into a 2011 Ford Focus in the O'Hare Office Plaza, 2300 Devon Ave., between 9 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. April 5 and stole a cellphone valued at $350.
• Burglars stole a purse valued at $150 out of a 2003 Nissan Altima on the 1400 block of South Susan Drive between 2:10 and 3 a.m. April 8.
• Thieves stole the catalytic converter valued at $1,000 from a 2004 Chevrolet Venture minivan in a business lot at 2175 E. Touhy Ave. between March 29 and April 6.
• Thieves stole the catalytic converter valued at $500 from a 2003 Pontiac Aztec in a business lot at 999 Touhy Ave. between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. April 4.
• Burglars stole a pair of sunglasses and a remote control for an in-car DVD player out of a 2006 Hummer H2 on the 600 block of East Oakwood Court between 7:30 p.m. April 5 and 9:30 a.m. April 6. Value was estimated at $220.
• Vandals scratched graffiti on a plastic slide and tick-tack-toe board and used a black marker to write graffiti underneath the slide and on the corkscrew slide in Woodlawn Park, 875 Woodlawn Ave., between 4:24 and 4:30 p.m. April 8. Damage was estimated at $100.
• Burglars broke a window at a home on the 2100 block of South Plainfield Drive between 6:45 p.m. April 10 and 12:35 a.m. April 11. The offenders rifled through every room but left untouched jewelry, fine china, cash, gift cards, designer figurines and other high-value items. The only item missing was a black baseball hat with U.S. World Cup Soccer logo valued at $25. Damage was estimated at $100.
• Thieves stole an iPhone valued at $700 out of an unlocked men's locker at the Mount Prospect Park District's RecPlex, 420 W. Dempster St., between 4:30 and 5:45 p.m. April 6.
• Thieves stole a the fiberglass driver's-side step up (fuel tank cover/faring) body panel from a 2007 Volvo semi-tractor on the 2200 block of South Busse Road between 9 p.m. April 5 and noon April 6. Value was estimated at $800.
• Vandals used a black marker to draw gang graffiti on playground equipment at the RecPlex, 420 W. Dempster St., between April 5 and 8. Damage was estimated at $100.
• Burglars opened an unlocked patio door at a condominium on the 800 block of MacIntosh Court between 11:15 a.m. and 3:50 p.m. April 2 and stole two pairs of gold earrings, gold bracelet, iPod, and cash. Value was estimated at $1,000.
•Two men burglarized a condominium on the 800 block of Winesap Court between 1:30 and 2 p.m. April 2 after entering through an unlocked patio door in the same condo complex. The men fled when the male resident unlocked the front door. They dropped a jewelry box when they jumped off a balcony. The had moved a laptop computer and small jewelry boxes as if planning to take them, but nothing appeared to be missing.
• An 84-year-old Prospect Heights woman was scammed out of $1,443 when she received a phone call around 9:30 a.m. April 1 from a male caller who claimed to be her grandson. He told her he was in New York for a funeral and had been arrested after a traffic accident. He told her he would need money to get out of jail. When a man then called and claimed to be his lawyer, the woman wired money to a person in the Dominican Republic. The next day, when the woman received another phone call from a man claiming to be a district attorney seeking additional money, she became suspicious. She phoned her grandson and learned that he was in school in Iowa.
• Burglars stole an unlocked white mountain bike out of a condominium garage on the 400 block of Plum Creek Drive between 9 p.m. April 5 and 8 a.m. April 6. Value was estimated at $300.
• Vandals scratched a Ford Escape and a Ford Freestyle in a business lot at 280 W. Palatine Road between 11:15 a.m. and noon April 6. Damage was estimated at $300.
• Vandals apparently poured gasoline into a 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe and set it on fire around 8:50 p.m. April 7 in an apartment lot on the 400 block of Foxboro Drive. The car was stolen out of Bolingbrook, reports said.