Milwaukee archdiocese to release sex abuse files
MILWAUKEE — The Archdiocese of Milwaukee says that it will release about 3,000 pages of documents related to sexual abuse lawsuits that have been filed against it.
It says the documents include depositions given by New York Cardinal Timothy Dolan, who previously led the Milwaukee archdiocese, former Milwaukee Archbishop Rembert Weakland and retired Bishop Richard Sklba.
Victims' advocates have accused church leaders of moving abusive priests around and covering up their crimes for decades.
The archdiocese had been fighting the release of the documents, and a hearing on the matter was scheduled for Thursday in U.S. bankruptcy court in Milwaukee.
The archdiocese filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in January 2011 to deal with about 500 sex abuse claims.
Lawyers representing those people had been seeking the documents' public release.
- Share Facebook Twitter
Article sent to (required)E-mail
Article sent from (required)E-mail Name
Subject Line (article title)
Message (optional)Success - Article sent Click to close
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.
Contact information ( * required )Name * Company Telephone * E-mail *
Article InformationTitle URL
Message (optional)Success - Reprint request sent Click to close