Breaking News Bar
posted: 3/28/2013 6:24 PM

Lawsuit argues Aurora paramedics misdiagnosed woman's stroke

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
 

An Aurora woman has sued the city and fire department, arguing three paramedics thought she was drunk when she called for emergency help last year when in reality she was having a stroke.

Susan Miller's lawsuit, filed in Kane County this week, argues that paramedics only treated her for six minutes and failed to provide proper care after arriving at her house at 2:04 a.m. May 28, 2012, after she complained of numbness in her arm and that she had fallen and could not get up.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Miller told the paramedics she had drank alcohol earlier in the day and the paramedics, instead of treating her and performing other tests, told her son to have his mother "sleep it off," according to the lawsuit.

Less than three hours later, the woman's ex-husband took her to the Provena Mercy Medical Center in Aurora and doctors determined she suffered a stroke.

"As a result in the delay in receiving the proper medical treatment for her stroke, Miller suffered and continues to suffer from various injuries including but not limited to permanent facial paralysis, vision loss and one-sided paralysis," read part of the lawsuit. "The defendant's utter indifferent or conscious disregard for the safety of Miller is evident from defendant's failure to discover a danger through recklessness or carelessness and which could have been discovered with the exercise of ordinary care."

A message left at the Aurora Fire Department's main station was not returned.

Aurora city spokesman Clay Muhammad said the city had not yet been served with the lawsuit and would not comment.

Miller's attorney, Dennis Stefanowicz, did not return messages.

Both sides are due in court June 13. Miller seeks a jury trial and unspecified damages, according to the lawsuit.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.