Daily Herald receives 12 Lisagor nominations
The Daily Herald has received 12 finalist nominations in the prestigious 2013 Peter Lisagor Awards for Exemplary Journalism contest, presented by the Chicago Headline Club.
Among the finalists for the 36th annual awards are Daily Herald staff writers Josh Stockinger, Robert Sanchez, Jessica Ciella, Christopher Placek, Marie Wilson and Justin Kmitch, nominated in the deadline reporting category for their coverage of the stabbing deaths of 7-year-old Justin Plackowska and 5-year-old Olivia Dworakowski in Naperville last October. Plackowska's mother, Elzbieta Plackowska, was arrested and charged with the murders. The coverage was the only nomination listed in that category.
Other Lisagor finalists include:
• Graphic artist Tim Broderick in the graphics category for "Title IX: Local schools work to bridge achievement gap." The nomination was the only one for that category.
• Photographer Rick West in the feature photography category for "Girl with pig."
• Photographer Mark Welsh in the news photography category for "Sikh candlelight service."
• Staff writers Marie Wilson, John Leusch, John Radtke, Tara Garcia Mathewson and Patricia Babcock in the education reporting category for "Title IX: Four decades of fighting for equality."
• Sports writer Mike Spellman for "A walk on the wild side with 'Feherty Live.'"
• Film critic Dann Gire in the arts reporting and criticism category for "Dann Gire at the Movies."
• Staff writer Jake Griffin in the investigative reporting category for "Suburban Tax Watchdog."
• Political writer Kerry Lester in the political and government reporting category for "U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk's Recovery."
• State government writer Mike Riopell in the political and government reporting category for "Illinois Pension Crisis."
• Columnist Burt Constable in the news column or commentary category.
• The Daily Herald Editorial Board in the editorial writing category for "Pensions: Time for Change."
Winners will be announced May 3 at the Union League Club in Chicago.
- Share Facebook Twitter
Article sent to (required)E-mail
Article sent from (required)E-mail Name
Subject Line (article title)
Message (optional)Success - Article sent Click to close
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.
Contact information ( * required )Name * Company Telephone * E-mail *
Article InformationTitle URL
Message (optional)Success - Reprint request sent Click to close