Breaking News Bar
updated: 3/14/2013 8:23 PM

20-year sentence after Aurora shootout, murder

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • Raul Sauceda-Cervantes

      Raul Sauceda-Cervantes

 
 

A Marseilles man pleaded guilty Thursday to murder in a cocaine deal gone bad in Aurora in 2008 and was sentenced to 20 years in prison.

Raul Saucedo-Cervantes, who turns 33 Friday, admitted his role in a shootout on Oct. 1, 2008, after a deal to sell five kilograms of cocaine on the city's near east side erupted into a gunfight, prosecutors said.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Co-defendant Juan M. Herrera, 37, of Prescott, Wis., was found guilty in a 2011 bench trial of shooting and killing Hector Valtierrez, 28, of Chicago. Herrera was sentenced to 46 years in prison last fall.

Prosecutors said Valtierrez and two others went to a home in the 600 block of North Root Street to buy five kilograms of cocaine from Herrera and Cervantes.

But just as the deal was about to go down, Valtierrez and the other men tried to steal the drugs. Valtierrez shot Herrera twice with a .38 caliber handgun, but Herrera killed Valtierrez by shooting him twice with a .45 caliber handgun, prosecutors said.

Kane County Judge Susan Clancy Boles accepted the Herrera's plea Thursday, in which prosecutors dropped other charges and sought the minimum prison term. He faced up to 60 years behind bars.

Although Cervantes did not shoot anyone, he was held legally accountable because he and Herrera were acting together, prosecutors said.

"The murder and these prison sentences are the predictable outcome when guns and drugs are involved," Kane County State's Attorney Joe McMahon said.

Cervantes had been held for nearly four years at the Kane County jail on $3 million bail while his case was pending. His case was set to go to trial April 15.

Defense attorney Liam Dixon said if the case went to trial and his client was convicted, he faced a minimum of 50 years in prison on murder charges, armed violence and a 15-year sentence add-on because he was with people who brought and used guns in the crime.

"This was (Cervantes') better option," Dixon said.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
    help here