Breaking News Bar
updated: 2/26/2013 12:05 PM

Boyfriend saves Antioch family from carbon monoxide poisoning

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
 

An family poisoned by carbon monoxide in their Antioch home Monday morning was rescued in the nick of time by their daughter's boyfriend.

Antioch emergency personnel were called to the home in the 1100 block of Bowles just after 6 a.m. after the boyfriend arrived at the home and could see someone slumped over on the floor through a window. When no one came to the door, he called 911.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

"It was miraculous timing, perfect timing," said Brian DeKind, chief of the Antioch Rescue Squad. "The fire department had some very high readings in the house. It's by the grace of God that the boyfriend found them there and made the smart choice to call 911 and get everything started."

Rescuers found four people unconscious within the home, as well as their dog.

Two adults and the oldest daughter, 22, were taken to Aurora Medical Center in Kenosha. The youngest daughter, 12, was taken to St. Catherine's Hospital in Kenosha and then flown to Lutheran General in Park Ridge. All were treated in hyperbaric chambers to reverse the impact of the carbon monoxide.

Three were treated and released Monday. The youngest remained at Lutheran General.

The family's dog was treated at the Antioch Animal Hospital.

Officials believe a boiler is to blame for the leak. The home did not have CO detectors, officials said.

In addition to Antioch fire and police, ambulances from Spring Grove, Grayslake and Salem assisted.

"You recognize how fragile life is and you know how close that family was," DeKind said. "It was the perfect example of the right place at the right time and all the crews working together to get the job done."

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.