Here are some examples of how the White House says automatic budget cuts could affect Illinois:
• Illinois would lose about $33.4 million in funds for elementary and secondary education. That would jeopardize 460 teacher and aide positions.
• Head Start and Early Head Start services for about 2,700 children would be eliminated.
• About 2,650 college students would see their work-study jobs eliminated and about 3,280 low-income students would lose financial aid.
Military & police
• About 14,000 civilian employees of the Department of Defense would be furloughed, reducing pay by roughly $83.5 million.
• Funding for Army base operations would be cut about $19 million, while Air Force operations would see a cut of about $7 million.
• Four demolition projects planned at Naval Station Great Lakes and a Blue Angels show in Rockford could be canceled.
• Law enforcement grants would be reduced about $587,000.
• About 5,230 fewer children would receive vaccines for diseases such as whooping cough, influenza and measles.
• Illinois would lose about $3.5 million in funds to prevent and treat substance abuse, leading to about 3,900 fewer admissions to substance abuse treatment programs.
• The Department of Public Health would lose about $186,000, which could pay for 4,600 HIV tests.
• As many as 1,100 low-income children could lose access to child care.
• About 50,780 fewer people would get training and help finding a job, due to an approximately $1.4 million cut in funds.
• A program that provides meals for seniors would lose about $764,000.
- Share Facebook Twitter
Article sent to (required)E-mail
Article sent from (required)E-mail Name
Subject Line (article title)
Message (optional)Success - Article sent Click to close
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.
Contact information ( * required )Name * Company Telephone * E-mail *
Article InformationTitle URL
Message (optional)Success - Reprint request sent Click to close