Daily Herald - Suburban Chicago's source for news This copy is for personal, non-commercial use. To order presentation-ready copies for distribution you can: 1) Use the "Reprint" button found on the top and bottom of every article, 2) Visit reprints.theygsgroup.com/dailyherald.asp for samples and additional information or 3) Order a reprint of this article now.
Article posted: 2/18/2013 1:52 PM

Burger King plans apology after Twitter hack

By

Burger King said Monday that it reached out to Twitter to suspend its account after an apparent hack.

Starting just after noon Eastern time on Monday, the fast-food company's Twitter picture was changed to a McDonald's logo, the background picture changed to McDonald's new Fish McBites product and the account tweeted that it had been sold to rival McDonald's.

Some posts from the account contained racial epithets, references to drug use and obscenities. The account has also tweeted: "if I catch you at a wendys, we're fightin!"

Burger King Worldwide Inc. spokesman Bryson Thornton told The Associated Press that the company reached out to Twitter administrators to suspend the account. The account has not posted since about 1:15 EST.

The Miami company plans to post a statement on Facebook later today to apologize, especially for the offensive posts. It hopes to have the account back up soon.

Copyright © 2014 Paddock Publications, Inc. All rights reserved.