Contact information ( * required )
Note: Answers provided have not been edited for grammar, misspellings or typos. In some instances, candidate claims that could not be immediately verified have been omitted.
Website: Candidate did not respond.
Office sought: Plato Township Highway Comissioner (4-year Term)
Family: 2 boys; ages 22 and 26
Occupation: Horticulturalist / business owner
Education: Bachelor of Science; University of Illinois in Champaign-Urban
Civic involvement: Candidate did not respond.
Elected offices held: None
Have you ever been arrested for or convicted of a crime? If yes, please explain: No
Key Issue 1
Providing the Plato taxpayers with the most "bang for their buck" by efficiently managing resources, labor, vendors etc… based on sound business practices. Being a "hands-on" part of the labor force as well.
Key Issue 2
To have open and easy communication with residents in person, by phone, e-mail and social media. To respond promptly to all methods of communication.
Key Issue 3
To maintain existing positive working relationships with surrounding communities. To maintain and develop positive working relationships with suppliers, vendors and subs for the benefit of the taxpayers. To evaluate staff and tasks and ensure high levels of production.
Name the three most important goals or objectives this board should tackle in the coming term. Prioritize them, and briefly discuss why you believe each to be critical, and how the board should go about addressing them.
Candidate did not respond
In the 21st Century, with municipalities gobbling up vacant land, why are townships needed? Should they be serving a new role? If so, what?
Townships with local control are needed to continue to operate at efficient cost-effective levels. These areas typically have unique needs and local management familiar with them will always provide the most cost effective services. Townships need to work with surrounding communities and municipalities to maximize services and efficiency and eliminate duplicate services.
What should be the primary responsibility of township government?
To strive to keep operating costs as low as possible. Thus keeping taxes as low as possible. To operate as efficiently as possible while continuing to provide quality services in a cost-effective manner for the benefit of the most residents as possible.
In these hard economic times, can you identify some township expenses/programs that could be trimmed or eliminated to reduce the tax burden?
This would of course be an on-going process. I will be a hands-on working Road Commissioner. I will evaluate all vendors, subs, suppliers etc… and work with surrounding communities to always get the most "bang for our buck". I also agree with the "freeze" on wages for the Highway Commissioner. I will look at wages, benefit packages, nepotism and the like for the betterment of the township. I am curious as to why a third full-time employee was hired within the last month (in addition to the commissioner) particularly in light of the work load this winter.
What specific background or experience do you bring that makes you the best qualified candidate to serve as an elected official in the township?
I am a long time resident of Plato Township and my qualifications include:
- College graduate: Bachelor's Degree from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- 20+ years experience as a business Owner / Entrepreneur. I have management in place which will let me to devote all my time and energy into the Road Commissioner job. (I wouldn't be running for the position if I could not commit all my time and energies!)
- 20+ years experience in Landscape Services.
- 20+ years experience in Snow Services.
- Extensive maintenance and construction experience.
- Budgeting and management skills.
- Ability and desire to work hard and smart.
- I understand the difference and expertise involved in both running a successful "business" and managing people. I understand the skills and expertise needed to perform the tasks. I appreciate the latter and have a proven record doing the prior.
- I will always make myself readily available to discuss any issues and concerns.