Breaking News Bar
updated: 2/11/2013 4:32 PM

Cardinal George preparing for papal conclave

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • Cardinal Francis George

      Cardinal Francis George
    Gilbert R. Boucher II/gboucher@dailyherald, May 20

 
Associated Press

Cardinal Francis George of Chicago plans to attend his second papal conclave next month.

Pope Benedict XVI said Monday he would resign Feb. 28, becoming the first pope in 600 years to step down. George talked to reporters Monday about the expected March conclave to replace the pontiff. George previously attended the conclave in 2005 that elected Benedict after Pope John Paul II died.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

George says he feels more experienced now and would spend more time asking questions and getting impressions of his fellow cardinals. The Roman Catholic Church elects a new pope from among its cardinals. George says he would make better use of his time before voting begins.

The 75-year-old George is the spiritual leader of more than 2 million Roman Catholics in the Chicago area.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.