The Chicago Outdoor Sports Show is under way at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center, ending Sunday.
In conjunction, the show is sharing the venue with the first Chicagoland Gun Show, Gun Safety & Education Symposium. This event is not your typical gun show -- focusing on gun safety, education, Illinois laws and continuing education, with 30 one-hour seminars Friday-Sunday. For more information, please visit www.chicagolandgunshow.com.
Contact information ( * required )
If you goWhen: 2-9 p.m. Friday; 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturday; 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday.
Cost: $10 online*; $12 at door.
* Online ticket purchases include a 1-year subscription to Field & Steam, Outdoor Life, Islands or Popular Science.
The Outdoor Sports Show features two seminar stages full of fishing and hunting seminars, several new family-friendly attractions and hundreds of quality vendors and exhibitors. Shop for fishing tackle, boats, archery, outfitters, wildlife art, hunting supplies, charters, canoes, kayaks, gun safes, knives, taxidermy and much more.
Speakers and special programs include:
• 3-D Archery Range and Tournament: Archers should bring their bows for one of the area's best indoor 3-D tournaments, for hunters and target shooters alike.
• The Bass Academy: A five-hour classroom designed by tournament professional Gene Ellison and featuring Jonathan Van Dam and several other premier anglers.
• Greg Bohn, designer of Walleye Tackle products and seven-time world record holder showcases his latest techniques and books.
• Expert musky panel featuring Spence Petros, Bob Mehsikomer and Don Pursch.
• American Fly Fishing School led by Captain Mike Corblies, a world-class teacher and videographer of the sport who is currently the director of the school.
• Dan Gapen Sr., author, naturalist and member of the International Fishing Hall of Fame.
• Historical Fishing Display, presented by Dan Basore, traces the evolution of fishing in America from the earliest fishing items dating to the Copper Culture 8,000 years ago.
• The Hawg Trough -- a 5,000-gallon mobile bass aquarium hosting dozens of fishing demonstration by top professionals.
There's more: Bob Mehsikomer musky seminars; Mark Millis, hunting expert and co-host of "Deer City, USA"; Mike Mladenik, smallmouth expert and guide; Tommy Skarlis, touring walleye professional; Kids Zone and kids' activities, including the trout pond.