Daily Herald - Suburban Chicago's source for news This copy is for personal, non-commercial use. To order presentation-ready copies for distribution you can: 1) Use the "Reprint" button found on the top and bottom of every article, 2) Visit reprints.theygsgroup.com/dailyherald.asp for samples and additional information or 3) Order a reprint of this article now.
Article posted: 1/23/2013 12:01 AM

Fireplace sparks house fire

By Sara Hooker

A family and its pets escaped injury after a spark from their fireplace started a fire in the chimney Tuesday evening.

The Elburn and Countryside Fire Protection District responded to a call at 7:32 p.m. near the corner of Route 38 and Francis Road in Maple Park. The chimney fire had spread into the walls of the residence.

The family escaped unharmed, and firefighters were able to rescue the family's pets, which included a snakelike lizard called a skink, said Elburn Lt. Mike Huneke said.

The fire was extinguished within a half-hour. Multiple departments assisted, including Batavia, Geneva, Sugar Grove, Maple Park, Kaneville, Big Rock and Burlington, while St. Charles provided backup.

The fire is still under investigation, and no damage estimate was available Tuesday evening.

Copyright © 2014 Paddock Publications, Inc. All rights reserved.