A fire that started in the basement of an Ingleside home Wednesday afternoon caused an estimated $180,000 in damage, according to officials.
Firefighters responded to a call at 3:44 p.m. reporting a fire at a one-story, single-family home on the 35000 block of Hunt Avenue, said Larry Van Hoorelbeke, battalion chief for Fox Lake fire department.
Upon arrival, crews found heavy smoke coming from the fireplace chimney, Van Hoorelbeke said. After entering the home, firefighters found a fire that had started in the basement, where the homeowner’s brother had been grinding metals, he said.
The fire was under control in about 20 minutes, Van Hoorelbeke said. No one was in the home when the fire began, he said, and no injuries were reported.
The fire, which has been ruled accidental, was contained to the basement and part of the first floor, Van Hoorelbeke said.
Firefighters from Round Lake, Grayslake, Lake Villa, Wauconda, Spring Grove, Antioch and McHenry helped with the fire.Copyright © 2013 Paddock Publications, Inc. All rights reserved.