Daily Herald - Suburban Chicago's source for news This copy is for personal, non-commercial use. To order presentation-ready copies for distribution you can: 1) Use the "Reprint" button found on the top and bottom of every article, 2) Visit reprints.theygsgroup.com/dailyherald.asp for samples and additional information or 3) Order a reprint of this article now.
Article updated: 1/7/2013 5:26 PM

Metra train strikes car in Arlington Heights

By Sara Hooker

A Metra train struck a car in Arlington Heights Monday afternoon, temporarily stopping trains on the Union Pacific Northwest Line in both directions.

The minor crash took place at 3:15 p.m. at Arthur Avenue just south of the Arlington Heights station, said Meg Reile, Metra spokeswoman.

No injuries were reported, and trains were moving again by 4 p.m., she said.

Train 621 was approaching the station on the southernmost set of tracks when a vehicle on the south side of the crossing pulled up too close to the tracks, said Arlington Heights Police Sgt. Jerry Lehnert.

As the train approached, gates closed on top of the vehicle. The driver attempted to put the car in reverse, but the train struck the car's bumper and ripped it off, Lehnert said.

"It's just a case of bad judgment, I guess, or his lucky day," Lehnert said.

The train left downtown at 2:30 p.m. and was expected in Crystal Lake at 3:55 p.m.

Officers allowed the train to proceed to the depot, where passengers could disembark and board other trains. Other trains began moving at about 4 p.m. with a restricted speed limit through the accident site, Reile said.

Delays on the Union Pacific Northwest Line reached upward of an hour Monday afternoon but should continue to lessen as the evening's rush hour plays out, Reile said.

"Most of the trains for the evening rush haven't departed downtown yet. There may be some minor delays, but people should get home fairly close to the time that they should get home," Reile said.

Copyright © 2014 Paddock Publications, Inc. All rights reserved.