Use scarves to add splash of color to pillows, decor
A pillow transformation can instantly enhance the look of a room. Whether it's your sofa or bed, it's always nice to have the option of quickly altering the color scheme.
SHNS photo courtesy Dena Fishbein
I have been an avid collector of beautiful scarves for a long time. I love vintage but I've also been having good luck finding lovely new ones. Use them to transform a pillow and instantly enhance the look of a room.
Whether it's your sofa or bed, it's always nice to have the option of quickly altering the color scheme of an area. This is especially true around the holidays when you might want certain colors in a room for a gathering, but you don't necessarily want it to look that way all year.
This is a great nondestructive project that will make your pillows look like beautifully wrapped gifts and then when you want a change, simply unpin your scarves from the pillow and start again.
• Two square scarves. Chiffon looks great, and they can be mix and match — no need for two of the same.
• Coordinating pillow base
• Vintage or handmade pin or brooch
• Find two scarves that fit around your pillow, one horizontally and one vertically, with extra room for tying a small knot or bow. Folding your scarf diagonally will make it longest.
• Tie your scarves around your pillow so the knots are front and center.
• Secure a vintage or handmade pin into the center of the pillow over the scarves. This will help keep them both in place. I used a big fabric floral pin with another rhinestone pin attached to the floral pin in the center to make the pillow special.
You can easily make your own fabric floral pin by layering flower-shaped scraps of fabric together and topping them off with a decorative button. Simply sew the button to the top layer by hand, then down through the center of all the bottom layers, and then hot glue a pin back to the opposite side. I love the look of the raw layered fabric edges on the pin combined with the crisp silk chiffon scarves. This is also a great last-minute gift idea.
• Dena Fishbein is the designer and artist behind many home, gift and paper products found at your favorite stores. Visit her blog at denadesigns.com.
- Share Facebook Twitter
Article sent to (required)E-mail
Article sent from (required)E-mail Name
Subject Line (article title)
Message (optional)Success - Article sent Click to close
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.
Contact information ( * required )Name * Company Telephone * E-mail *
Article InformationTitle URL
Message (optional)Success - Reprint request sent Click to close