• Celebrity chef Rachael Ray discusses her new cookbook, "My Year in Meals," at 6 p.m. Friday, Dec. 14, at Naperville North High School, 899 N. Mill St., Naperville. The event is sponsored by Anderson's Bookshop at 123 W. Jefferson Ave., Naperville. Purchase a copy of Ray's new cookbook at Anderson's to receive a pre-signed book and admission to Ray's program and her question-and-answer session with the audience. For information, call Anderson's at (630) 355-2665, or visit andersonsbookshop.com.
• Meet local author Paul Bryan Roach as he discusses and signs copies of his novel "The End" at 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 14, at Centuries and Sleuths Bookstore, 7419 W. Madison St., Forest Park. (708) 771-7243 or centuriesandsleuths.com.
Contact information ( * required )
• Meet Chicago landscape artist and author Dan Weinbach as he discusses and signs copies of his book, "Trees 4 Seasons: A Visual Guide," at 2 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 15, at The Book Stall at Chestnut Court, 811 Elm St., Winnetka. (847) 446-8880 or thebookstall.com.
• "Target Lancer" author Max Allan Collins signs copies of his novel at 1 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 16, at Centuries and Sleuths Bookstore, 7419 W. Madison St., Forest Park. (708) 771-7243 or centuriesandsleuths.com.
• Author Randy L. Schmidt reads from and discusses his new book, "Yesterday Once More: The Carpenters Reader," a book looking at the 1970s superstar brother-and-sister recording artists Richard and Karen Carpenter, at 6 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 16, at the Metropolis Performing Arts Centre, 111 W. Campbell St., Arlington Heights. Schmidt will also discuss his best-selling 2010 biography of Karen Carpenter, "Little Girl Blue: The Life of Karen Carpenter." The evening will include a performance by Close to You: The Music of the Carpenters. Event is open to the public. Admission is $10 ($5 can be applied to a book purchase). Tickets will be available at the door. (847) 577-2121 or metropolisarts.com.
-- Laura Stewart