Daily Herald - Suburban Chicago's source for news This copy is for personal, non-commercial use. To order presentation-ready copies for distribution you can: 1) Use the "Reprint" button found on the top and bottom of every article, 2) Visit reprints.theygsgroup.com/dailyherald.asp for samples and additional information or 3) Order a reprint of this article now.
Article updated: 12/13/2012 8:03 PM

Candle starts fire in St. Charles

By Steve Zalusky

A knocked-over candle started a fire at a home on the 1900 block of Jeanette Avenue in St. Charles Thursday, authorities said.

St. Charles firefighters said they arrived on the scene at 3:25 p.m. and found a small fire at the top of the second floor staircase. The fire was out in five minutes, but the fire department remained on the scene until about 4 p.m. to complete salvage operations and conduct an investigation. The fire started when a candle was accidentally knocked over, according to the fire department. The home's occupant discovered the fire, exited safely and called 911. No one was injured.

The loss is estimated at $5,000, and the home remains habitable, firefighters said.

The Geneva and Batavia fire departments assisted St. Charles.

Copyright © 2014 Paddock Publications, Inc. All rights reserved.