A total of 12 candidates -- including nine newcomers -- will seek four open seats on the Naperville City Council next spring.
Incumbent council member Judy Brodhead and Tara Leigh Gregus, a Republican precinct committeewoman, were the last to file at the city clerk's office Monday, the final day candidates could submit their nominating petitions for the April 9 municipal election.
Contact information ( * required )
A primary election could have been triggered had more than 16 candidates filed.
For the 10 candidates who submitted their papers on the first day of filing Nov. 19, a lottery will be held next week to determine their placement on the ballot, City Clerk Pam LaFeber said.
"Just like there's strategy to being first on the ballot, there's strategy to being last," LaFeber said.
Brodhead, an English professor and coordinator of cultural events at North Central College, and Gregus, a Wheatland Township Republican precinct committeewoman, join the list of candidates who filed last week. They are:
• Paul Hinterlong, a 4-year incumbent and Naperville native who is a licensed plumber;
• Doug Krause, a 24-year incumbent who works as a Realtor;
• Kevin Coyne, a member of the city's planning and zoning commission;
• Jeff Davis, the president of the Naperville Public Library board;
• Wayne Floegel, a member of the city's transportation advisory board;
• Tom Glass, a vocal opponent of the city's recent smart meter installations;
• Bill Habel, who says he is interested in economic development issues;
• John Krummen, who heads the city's public utility advisory board and was a Smart Grid ambassador;
• Jo Malik, a small-business owner and smart meter opponent;
• and David Wentz, a Naperville Township trustee.
Councilman Kenn Miller is not running for a third term.
All candidates are seeking 2-year terms, since Naperville will move to a district election system in 2015. At that time, the city will be divided into five districts, and each will elect its own council member. There also will be three at-large members elected citywide.