Fittest loser
Article updated: 11/9/2012 9:11 AM

Carbon monoxide warning as colder weather sets in

text size: AAA

The Illinois Poison Center is warning people of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, especially as the weather gets colder.

Among the most common sources of the odorless, toxic gas are malfunctioning heaters and furnaces.

Advertisement

The Poison Center's medical director, Dr. Michael Wahl, says carbon monoxide in a home can easily go undetected. The center recommends that people install carbon monoxide detectors on each floor of their homes and have furnaces inspected each year.

Other potential sources of carbon monoxide include charcoal grills, lanterns, gasoline-powered machines such as snow blowers, and gas stoves and dryers.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause flu-like symptoms including headache, nausea, vomiting and dizziness, and in severe cases death.

Comments ()
We are now using Facebook comments to offer a more inclusive, social and constructive discussion. Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.

This article filed under

Latest Video

MostViewed

Today
Yesterday
Most Commented
Top Jobs

    View all Top Jobs Place a job ad

    MarketsReport

    DHExtras

       
    • Newspaper next section - Newspaper next section Report card checker - report card checker
    • Dh innovation award 2 - Dh innovation award 2 Zillow /real estate page
    • Discuss refer On Guard series
    • Newspaper archives -- Monday or anyday Mike North

    FacebookActivity

    BusinessDirectory

    Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:

    Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.