Suspect in Chicago car-bomb plot pleads not guilty
A West suburban teen has pleaded not guilty to trying to set off what he thought was a car bomb next to a Chicago bar.
Dressed in orange jail clothes, Adel Daoud looked cheerful during Thursday's arraignment. He even joked to Judge Sharon Johnson Coleman about the maximum life sentence he faced, telling her it couldn't be longer.
Asked how he pleaded, the bushy-haired Hillside teen said politely, "Not guilty."
The FBI arrested the 19-year-old in a sting operation last month. Authorities allege he believed the U.S. was at war with Muslims.
In court, he smiled and waved at his parents. His teary-eyed father, Ahmed Daoud, told reporters later his son is a good kid.
Attorney Thomas Durkin says he'll argue the plot was the idea of agents, not his client.
- Share Facebook Twitter
Article sent to (required)E-mail
Article sent from (required)E-mail Name
Subject Line (article title)
Message (optional)Success - Article sent Click to close
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.
Contact information ( * required )Name * Company Telephone * E-mail *
Article InformationTitle URL
Message (optional)Success - Reprint request sent Click to close