Breaking News Bar
updated: 10/3/2012 1:02 PM

Mundelein man charged in Grayslake home invasion

Success - Article sent! close
  • John R. Baruffi Jr.

    John R. Baruffi Jr.

  • Richard A. Kellogg

    Richard A. Kellogg


Grayslake police say a second man has been charged in connection with a home invasion on the village's west side last week.

John R. Baruffi Jr., 25, of 31 Washington St. in Mundelein, remains held on a $250,000 bond at the Lake County jail and must post 10 percent of the amount as bail to be released before trial.

Baruffi, who had been wanted on an arrest warrant, turned himself in to Grayslake police Tuesday and now faces charges of armed robbery, unlawful restraint and residential burglary.

Authorities announced charges against the first suspect Monday. Richard A. Kellogg, 18, of the 1400 block of Catalpa Street in Waukegan, was charged with armed robbery, unlawful restraint and residential burglary. Kellogg remains in the county jail.

Police said a resident in the 1000 block of Manchester Circle, near the College of Lake County, summoned officers at 10:38 p.m. Sept. 28 with the report of an armed home invasion. Police said the victims were robbed but not injured. Two invaders were armed with handguns and one with a baseball bat, according to authorities. The caller provided suspect descriptions to police dispatchers.

Grayslake Police Chief Phil Perlini said Wednesday the home was targeted, but he declined to elaborate. He also said he cannot yet comment on what was taken from the home or recovered.

Charges against two other suspects, initially detained by Grayslake police, were not approved by the Lake County state's attorney's office, pending further investigation. Police said responding officers saw a light-colored 2002 Oldsmobile Bravada leaving the area at a high speed with the described suspects inside. Officers attempted to stop the vehicle, but it fled south on Atkinson Road, according to authorities. As the driver attempted to turn east on Brae Loch Road, the driver lost control and the vehicle struck a utility pole. After the suspects ran away, police said, officers began a search that included canine units and a helicopter. Police said the manhunt lasted about five hours.

Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.