Breaking News Bar
updated: 9/29/2012 3:10 PM

Three held in Grayslake home invasion

Success - Article sent! close
Daily Herald staff report

Grayslake police said they're holding three people following a home invasion late Friday in Grayslake, while a fourth suspect has been identified but remains at-large.

A resident who lives in the 1000 block of Manchester Circle, a quiet block between a forest preserve and the College of Lake County, called police at 10:38 p.m. to report an armed home invasion that had just occurred.

Police said three suspects entered the home and robbed the victims, who weren't injured. Two were armed with handguns, one with a bat. The caller provided suspect descriptions to police dispatchers.

Police said responding units saw a light-colored 2002 Olds Bravada leaving the area at a high rate of speed with the described suspects inside.

Officers attempted to stop the vehicle, but it fled south on Atkinson Road. As the driver attempted to turn east on Brea Loch Road, the driver lost control and the vehicle struck a utility pole.

The suspects then fled on foot. Police established a perimeter around the area and initiated a search with officers, police dogs and a helicopter that lasted for five hours.

Neighbor Rachael Rezek, who lives three blocks away, first saw police activity at about 11 p.m. while walking her friends to their cars. A police dog went by leading three officers with flashlights.

A few minutes later, one of the friends she had just seen off called to say police had searched her vehicle and rerouted her away from one of the College Trail subdivision exits.

She called the police department's nonemergency number, but was told only that someone crashed his car and fled the scene. She also watched as a helicopter circled overhead for about an hour starting at 1:15 a.m.

"All the activity seemed extreme, so I figured there was more to the story," Rezek said. "This is a nice little neighborhood and very safe. We're just hoping this wasn't a random occurrence."

Police said three of the suspects were located and taken into custody without incident. A fourth suspect has been identified and is believed to have fled the area. No weapons were located.

No one in custody has been charged.

Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.