Daily Herald - Suburban Chicago's source for news This copy is for personal, non-commercial use. To order presentation-ready copies for distribution you can: 1) Use the "Reprint" button found on the top and bottom of every article, 2) Visit reprints.theygsgroup.com/dailyherald.asp for samples and additional information or 3) Order a reprint of this article now.
Article updated: 9/29/2012 10:33 PM

Fireplace ashes spark blaze in Elgin

By

A fire that broke out Saturday morning in Elgin caused about $45,000 worth of structural damage to an attached garage on the 100 block of Westgate Drive.

Elgin firefighters got to the scene at 11:38 a.m. and worked for about an hour to extinguish the blaze, acting Battalion Chief Robb Cagann said.

The cause was determined to be improperly discarded fireplace ashes, Cagann said.

Though the damage was largely contained to the garage, the house was declared uninhabitable until Elgin code enforcement officers examine the property on Monday.

Copyright © 2014 Paddock Publications, Inc. All rights reserved.