Fittest loser
Article updated: 9/27/2012 8:48 PM

Child playing with lighter destroys Carpentersville home

A firefighter who was first on the scene of a house fire on the 200 block of Riverview in Carpentersville on Thursday afternoon gets ready to put water on the blaze, which was started by a boy playing with a lighter.

A firefighter who was first on the scene of a house fire on the 200 block of Riverview in Carpentersville on Thursday afternoon gets ready to put water on the blaze, which was started by a boy playing with a lighter.

 

Courtesy of the Carpentersville Fire Department

Fire destroyed a home Thursday morning on the 200 block of Riverview Drive in Carpentersville.

Fire destroyed a home Thursday morning on the 200 block of Riverview Drive in Carpentersville.

 

courtesy of Bill O’Neill/ElginetMedia

A woman and her 4-year-old nephew suffered minor injuries in a Thursday morning fire in Carpentersville.

A woman and her 4-year-old nephew suffered minor injuries in a Thursday morning fire in Carpentersville.

 

Courtesy of Bill O’Neill/ElginetMedia

 1 of 3 
 
text size: AAA

A 4-year-old boy playing with a lighter in bed sparked a fire that destroyed a Carpentersville home late Thursday morning.

The boy was home with his aunt inside the single-story home on the 200 block of Riverview Drive when a mattress went up in flames about 11:45 a.m., but both escaped with minor injuries.

Advertisement

When firefighters arrived, half of the house was engulfed in flames. Both the boy and his aunt were standing across the street.

Fire officials said the blaze spread quickly through the house because the boy's aunt attempted to pull the burning mattress outside.

"We found out that the occupants tried to drag the mattress out by dragging it through the house, which unfortunately started other fires throughout the house," Carpentersville Fire Chief John Schuldt said.

Schuldt said the flames became too large for the woman to continue pulling it out of the home and she left it in the living room, which quickly caught fire.

"A mattress goes up pretty quickly," Schuldt said.

The woman suffered minor burns on her arms while pulling the burning mattress, and both she and the young boy were complaining of smoke inhalation. Both victims were treated at the scene and released.

"The family was quite shaken," Schuldt said.

The fire caused extensive fire damage throughout the entire home and damaged a car parked in the driveway.

Carpentersville firefighters were assisted by crews from the East Dundee Fire Protection District and the West Dundee and Rutland-Dundee fire departments.

It took crews about 15 minutes to bring the fire under control, but the home was considered a loss.

No firefighters were injured during the blaze.

Comments ()
We are now using Facebook comments to offer a more inclusive, social and constructive discussion. Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
Latest Video

MostViewed

Today
Yesterday
Most Commented
Top Jobs

    View all Top Jobs Place a job ad

    MarketsReport

    DHExtras

       
    • Newspaper next section - Newspaper next section Report card checker - report card checker
    • Dh innovation award 2 - Dh innovation award 2 Zillow /real estate page
    • Discuss refer On Guard series
    • Newspaper archives -- Monday or anyday Mike North

    FacebookActivity

    BusinessDirectory

    Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:

    Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.