Create a 'checklist' when choosing a toilet
Q. I recently looked into getting a new toilet and was confused at all the choices I needed to make when buying one. I know that you have a way of making most plumbing issues easy to understand. So, can you help guide me through the process of choosing my new toilet?
A. Nowadays, when it comes to choosing a new toilet, you need to consider available options and features that will work best for your home and family. I have made a "toilet checklist" that may help you.
1. Style — "One-piece" toilets can look trendy and be easier to clean, but "two-piece" toilets may fit your budget a little better.
2. Bowl shape — "Elongated" bowls give you a longer bowl, but for small bathrooms a "round front" bowl may better fit the space.
3. Toilet height — If you need a taller toilet, "comfort height" toilets are about 2 inches higher than standard toilets.
4. Water conservation — Most standard toilets use 1.6 gallons per flush; "high-efficiency" toilets flush with 1.3 gpf or less.
5. Flushing options — Gravity flush toilets can be available in single or "dual-flush" models. Dual flush gives the option of a full flush or a half flush. Also available are "assisted-flush" toilets where air pressure can help add more flushing power.
I hope this helps flush out your confusion. If you make a list of all your choices, your plumber or salesperson can help you choose a toilet that will work best for you.
• Master plumber Ed Del Grande is the author of "Ed Del Grande's House Call" and hosts TV and Internet shows. Visit eddelgrande.com or write firstname.lastname@example.org. Always consult local contractors and codes.
Scripps Howard News Service
- Share Facebook Twitter
Article sent to (required)E-mail
Article sent from (required)E-mail Name
Subject Line (article title)
Message (optional)Success - Article sent Click to close
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.
Contact information ( * required )Name * Company Telephone * E-mail *
Article InformationTitle URL
Message (optional)Success - Reprint request sent Click to close